Digital camcorder as a webcam?

candreasencandreasen Minneapolis, MN
edited February 2012 in Lifestyle
I have a camera called the Aiptek Action HD GVS 1080p (sorry they have a terrible site so no link) and I simply can't figure out for sure whether I can use it as a webcam without an input card for my computer (it has component out) or not. If not what is the easiest solution (diy if possible) to hook it up. Or should I just buy a cheap webcam and have bad quality?
Thanks

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=51259

Three things:

1. This is a component video to USB adapter/grabber. It is for 720x480 or lesser grade video only.
    2. It is not the cheapest I have seen, but Mantattan is sold nation-wide in US.
    3. Price is not too cheap, about $60.00 US, and it will not be in at Cyberguys until April of this year.

Conclusion, a USB Webcam might be a better choice, as many computers do not display 1080p in small screens. If the people you will be chatting with have high quality screens and video, then you might be wanting the adapter and the info on Cyberguys might let you hunt up something similar that is available now.
  • candreasencandreasen Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks, but I did just buy a usb component capture card. here It does not play well with skype though despite working with some other things I tried (specifically yawcam). any idea on why that is?