New Laptop (subtitle: death to MSI)

ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
edited March 2012 in Hardware
So, it happened, my 2nd MSI laptop is officially dead. Okay... dead is an overstatement. It still works just fine as a computer but one of the hinges broke apart completely.

So now I'm shopping for a new laptop. I have a set of fairly stringent wants for this and would like some input so I don't make the mistake of buying without due diligence and end up with another pain in the ass like my 2 MSI laptops were.

Requirements:
* < $1500
* 14" to 16" screen (seriously, I want this thing to have a decent sized screen, but still be portable)
* AT LEAST 1600x900 resolution
* CPU and GPU that will game reasonably well (I don't usually put things on ultra-high settings and I definitely don't expect to be able to do AA or anything like that, but I do expect games to be playable on mid to high settings at native resolution)
* From a company that actually provides reasonable support for their products

Would like, but will live without if necessary
* Backlit keyboard (I use my laptop in bed quite a bit while my girlfriend is sleeping, this would make doing so about a million times easier)

So far, my 2 main contenders were the HP Envy 15 and the Alienware m14x. Lately, however, I've been leaning toward the Alienware because the HP Envy's GPU isn't as good as the Alienware and requires special drivers from HP, which haven't been updated since November. Additionally, the 1080 LCD on the Envy apparently has a noticeable red-orange shift.

Thrax had mentioned Sager, which looked promising except that there was a 20-25 business day wait to ship the model that looked most promising to me. Since I can no longer haul my current laptop around with me, this is unacceptable.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone wants to buy my old MSI, I'll give you a great deal on it. It still works, the only problem is that the blown out hinge makes it so you can't really close it. It would have to be a box that is set up somewhere and not moved. (specs: i5 2.6GHz, 4GB, Radeon 5850M, 1680x1050, 500GB HDD)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    I say Lenovo i7-based with a W520 being best, hinges and case are metal. You get a 15.6" screen, 1600x900 optional but configurable. NOT for gaming though it does fold OK even here in FL.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited March 2012
    Oookay.... except that one of my requirements is that it WILL game reasonably well. Believe me, I love Lenovo. My old 3000 C100 is still running after about 5 years, but they don't make anything that meets my criteria.

I'm starting to think that Sager is probably going to be my best bet, and I'll just have to wait until mid-April for it to arrive. I don't like this though =/
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I did some searching and $1500 for a gaming laptop should NOT be tough. I didn't mess around much and got a HP Pavillion dv6t-600 for under $1500.

Core i7 2670QM (Quad core w/ turbo)
    2GB AMD Radeon HD 7690M GDDR5
    8GB RAM
    750GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive
    9-Cell Battery
    15.6" 1920x1080 Display
    Blu-ray player
    HP 2-year Care Pack House Call Service with Accidental Damage Protection

$1424
    edited March 2012
    Ooh... that's pretty compelling. LaptopMag does give the DV6T a 4/5 and the 7690M does beat the GT 555M in most benchmarks. The Sagers that I've been looking at have GT 560M GPUs though which beat the 7690M quite handily... still, compelling option as I'm more familiar with HP from a service and support standpoint.

(benchmark source: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html)
    If you're not worried about the 2 yr warranty and accidental damage, you can bump the CPU to the faster quad core i7 or memory. OR, just go with a $1250 gaming laptop. ;)
    Your post actually inspired me to look closer at the HP Pavilion line. Previously I had only really looked at the Envy stuff and the lower end Pavilions. Ended up putting this one together for slightly less than what you listed with essentially the same specs and a spare travel power adapter

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/load_configuration.do?destination=review&config_id=7090588

I think I have a new frontrunner. This is exactly why I come to Icrontic and ask these things.
    I'd go with the same config except the cheapest hard drive then grab a SSD (OCZ) to make it a REAL monster!!!
    This is really one of my job functions... finding the perfect match to the user and I LOVE it. Just wish I could, some day, build one for myself.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Note that the 7690M is based on the desktop Radeon HD 6670 die w/ a 75MHz slower GPU and 100MHz slower memory. Read reviews on the 6670 and shave off about 10% to determine what performance you're going to get.
    That 750G hard drive is the cheapest one for that model ;)

I probably wouldn't put an SSD in it though. I tend to horde data (also, it will be dual booting Linux as soon as I get it), so an SSD doesn't really cut it for me unless I have a large amount of traditional storage to back it up. Also, I still have a sour taste in my mouth from the plethora of SSD failures I had to deal with when I was in our restore department... especially the OCZ Z-drives.
    Note that the 7690M is based on the desktop Radeon HD 6670 die w/ a 75MHz slower GPU and 100MHz slower memory. Read reviews on the 6670 and shave off about 10% to determine what performance you're going to get.
    I'll check that out, though I will say that the benchmarks say it performs on par or slightly better than the GeForce 555M, which is the GPU in the Alienware m14x which has decent reviews and, supposedly, games acceptably. Are my conclusions here faulty?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Not faulty at all. Just saying you can get some more complete benchmarks out of the GPU by taking a look at its desktop cousin. :)
    http://www.powernotebooks.com also has some gaming laptops. PowerPro R 11:36 Matte Gaming Laptop has a nVIDIA GeForce GTX 570M 192bit w/1.5GB GDDR5, same CPU, memory, yada, yada, yada all for $1435 ($1390 cash).
    That's definitely an interesting option as well. I think I'm just about sold on the dv6tqe though. After all the trouble the two MSI laptops I've had gave me, I'm wary of trying a "new to me" brand at the moment =/ at least HP is a known quantity. That's not to say I'm not open to considering more options of course, I'll definitely check out the PowerPro option. Either way, I won't be able to buy until Monday, so I'm sure I'll be perusing various options all weekend, agonizing over this decision.
    The more I look at that HP I spec'd out, the more I like it. Unf. Someone remind me on Monday to use the IC affiliate link when I buy it (there is a generic HP affiliate link, right?)
    Ended up ordering the exact config that I linked to earlier in the thread (for anyone who is interested). Also got additional money off using a coupon code from http://retailmenot.com which brought the price of the laptop itself down under $1000 (though the extended warranty, travel A/C adapter, tax and 2 day shipping brought it back up to around $1275).

Aside from some trouble charging my debit card (dern daily spending limits), everything went smoothly. HP even called me directly, and I was able to conference in my bank, to work out the payment issues. Now I just need to wait for it to be built, which will apparently not be until early April :(
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    HP even called me directly, and I was able to conference in my bank, to work out the payment issues.
    Well, that's cool. I'd never really thought about it, but that totally makes sense to do.

It seems HP's "estimated ship date" is a very conservative date. The estimated ship date was April 9th, but it actually shipped on Mar 30th. I got it in my grubby hands yesterday. I have to say, I'm quite impressed with it so far. It feels rock solid, unlike the HP laptops of old that I've seen. It seems that HP has really improved their build quality since a few years ago. The screen is gorgeous, plenty bright and has good color. The keyboard is among the best I've ever used, keys are nice and firm with good travel and I love the chicklet style keyboard (granted, that's a personal preference). To top it all off, it didn't come pre-loaded with nearly as much crap as most OEM computers. Only took about 10 minutes to clear off the junk that I didn't want (Norton, MS Office, HP Games and some ebook reader software).

Glad I asked for input from you guys. @QCH, you da man.
    No problem... glad you like it so far. Hope to see it at EPIC!
    Yeah... you would if I were coming to EPIC. Between my girlfriend moving in with me in June and the annual family vacation her family takes at the start of July (which I'm expected to go to as of this year), there's no way I'll be able to make it.
    Did I say anything about YOU and EPIC? ;D

Just FedEx the laptop to me at EPIC and I "promise" to ship it back after I'm done with it. :crazy: