Windows Stability Maximizer Issue...

NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
edited April 2012 in Science & Tech
I don't know how but my brother's computer contracted a special little piece of spyware called Windows Stability Maximizer. I find the actual program name a little comical because it's "protector-fukq.exe". Anyhow, when he first told me about it, I figured that his firewall was just being mean to him. A few days later I was watching him do something from over his shoulder and it popped up to bother him. I told him to close it, to see if it did anything else and to let me know if it did.

A few hours later he told me that it had been bothering him again so I said to leave it alone and I would take care of it for him. I figured that it would just take a few things. I tried to stop the process but it took over the task manager. I then tried to stop the service but it will not let me run msconfig. I tried to get an anti-spyware program but the program is disallowing internet access now. I am not sure what to do, you guys. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    If it has blocked internet access the first question will be: Do you have a flash drive to download the needed tools from another computer and move them onto this computer?

-Digi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    TBH: You can go around in circles trying to get rid of it, but given how persistent it seems to be so far, it will probably take you less time to wipe the computer and reinstall.

Make sure you back up the data first (if you don't already have backups that is, which you should).
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    I don't have a flash drive. Let me see if I have some CD's/DVD's lying around.
    Thank you very much, guys. I am currently trying the method that @Tushon gave.
    edited April 2012
    I'm just going to reformat it. It's not a big deal. There was nothing important on it at all. Thanks very much, guys.
    This issue has been resolved via the instruction of @Tushon's link. I could not find the disks necessary to reformat so I decided to give it another go. So, thank you all.