Stuttering sound in Windows 7

edited April 2012 in Hardware
I have had this problem for a few months now but it didn't matter to me until I started making recordings of some gameplay in audiosurf (if anyone even knows that game). The sound stutter affects the output of the recording and is getting on my last nerve. The build is only a year old so it surprises me something like this has happened. I'll start off by listing the specs:

MOBO: MSI 870A-G54
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 @ 3.1Ghz
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 Patriot @ 1600Mhz
2 SATA hard drives
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 9500 GT
Audio: Realtek HD audio (can't remember the model)

What I have tried:
1) Re-installed audio drivers many times
2) Changed sound quality settings to lowest possible (16 bits, 44100 Hz)
3) Restarted computer- this temporarily fixes the problem sometimes
4) Scanned computer for viruses
5) Re-installed Windows

I should also note it doesn't matter if the system is under a load or not- the sound still stutters so I don't know why it's stuttering. At one point I did have the CPU OC to 3.72Ghz but I started having issues after a few days so I put it back and those problems went away. However, the audio wasn't stuttering at that time.

Can somebody help me out with this? Have I missed something?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Uninstall audio driver
    Install Driver Sweeper
    Remove all Realtek audio driver remnants via Driver Sweeper
    Download and install correct driver from this page
  • This is going to sound weird, but try temporarily disabling your anti-virus and see if it goes away. If it does, try a new antivirus.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I have a stutter with my sound but only when I full screen a video.
  • I have a stutter with my sound but only when I full screen a video.
    Are you using a third party filter package such as FFdshow?
  • Uninstall audio driver
    Install Driver Sweeper
    Remove all Realtek audio driver remnants via Driver Sweeper
    Download and install correct driver from this page
    I ran the driver sweeper and cleaned the sound drivers. I may have misunderstood but I thought it was supposed to pretty much delete the sound driver files. After a restart the sound is still working and even the advanced sound settings is still in the notification area. As mentioned restarting sometimes stops the stuttering temporarily and right now there are no stutters. I will re-install sound drivers if it starts up again and I'll post back if the problem isn't fixed. Thanks for your help.
    This is going to sound weird, but try temporarily disabling your anti-virus and see if it goes away. If it does, try a new antivirus.
    I'll try this if the first post doesn't work. Thanks for your help.
    There are some core windows audio drivers that will still output sound, but the first step was manually uninstalling :P

Good luck
  • Well, I'm back. I tried re-installing drivers again and the sound stutters still. I also disabled all my Avast shields and it had no effect. I'm beginning to think something is wrong with the card itself. I may go and get a sound card and see if that fixes it. But before I go buy a card: will updating the BIOS have any effect? I updated to the latest version for my PC several months ago but it behaves a little strangely and I think it could have something to do with it.
  • It's worth a shot. USB devices can cause strange interruptions with onboard sound, and a proper bios update may fix that.
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870A-G54.html#/?div=BIOS

• Ok. I'm going to update now. I'll come back here and reveal the results. In a few minutes...
  • This is very different from the last time I updated the BIOS. The last time was just a simple executable file that was able to flash while still in the Windows OS. The file I just downloaded is very very different. In fact even the instructions provided are wrong I think. Plus I don't have a floppy disk to use. I checked the MSI website for a different download but I couldn't find one.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Old trick:

When they tell you to use a floppy, use a burned CD in substitute if you can. If the instructions tell you to run a program to write a floppy, contact MSI tech support in email and see if they can provide a way to burn to CD before attempting to mod their directions please.

John.
    This is very different from the last time I updated the BIOS. The last time was just a simple executable file that was able to flash while still in the Windows OS. The file I just downloaded is very very different. In fact even the instructions provided are wrong I think. Plus I don't have a floppy disk to use. I checked the MSI website for a different download but I couldn't find one.
    You got the 7599vHI.zip file, right? You should be able to place the A7599AMS.HI0 file on the root of a USB drive and flash it in BIOS unless you are saying that the .exe flashed in windows.
  • That's bogus, I wouldn't take any risks with the "oldschool" method of bios updates these days.

Instead, just get the "MSI live update 5" utility and I imagine it will take care of you in the comfort of Windows:
    http://www.msi.com/product/mb/870A-G54.html#/?div=Utility&os=Win7 32

Make sure you choose the right version of Windows for yourself.
    To clarify, you're saying that it is more risky to flash BIOS from within the actual BIOS level program and you feel it is safer to flash it from Windows? If so ... okay.

I imagine the .exe in his download does that for him anyways.
  • Old trick:

When they tell you to use a floppy, use a burned CD in substitute if you can. If the instructions tell you to run a program to write a floppy, contact MSI tech support in email and see if they can provide a way to burn to CD before attempting to mod their directions please.
    That's good to know. I'll keep that one in mind.
    You got the 7599vHI.zip file, right? You should be able to place the A7599AMS.HI0 file on the root of a USB drive and flash it in BIOS unless you are saying that the .exe flashed in windows.
    I am saying the .exe did flash in Windows but it was a different file from what I am seeing now.
    just get the "MSI live update 5" utility and I imagine it will take care of you in the comfort of Windows
    I have version 4 installed and when I was trying to download updated drivers via live update, I kept getting corrupted files every time, but that was months ago. It may be fixed now...
  • The BIOS was updated successfully. Now to wait and see if the sound continues to stutter...
  • To clarify, you're saying that it is more risky to flash BIOS from within the actual BIOS level program and you feel it is safer to flash it from Windows? If so ... okay.

I imagine the .exe in his download does that for him anyways.
    Not exactly, I'm saying there is less risk in flashing BIOS from Windows than there is from flashing BIOS from DOS (which is not a "bios level program") for someone who likely doesn't have a floppy drive and probably has never had to update their BIOS that way. That's a process of the past now and OEMs would not risk promoting Windows based BIOS updates and utilities if there wasn't a proven and serious level of stability in the process.

Hopefully this fixes the sound issue, if not I would move on and get a card because time is valuable.
    Oh okay. I was referring to the AWARD BIOS system of doing the updates from within the BIOS itself. I (personally, on my 4 different boards and couple laptops) have not seen one which did not allow you to update from within the BIOS.
  • The stutters are starting to come back. It's gotta be the sound card. I can't think of anything else unless someone has another suggestion. Good news is after the BIOS update, my PC starts up quicker and it also doesn't behave strangely anymore. The MSI logo on boot up sequence screen is still gone though. Probably something they did on purpose and I could care less about it.
    Oh okay. I was referring to the AWARD BIOS system of doing the updates from within the BIOS itself. I (personally, on my 4 different boards and couple laptops) have not seen one which did not allow you to update from within the BIOS.
    That is probably what the second option does in the executable file I used. It puts the BIOS update to a USB device and you update through that. Since there was the option to update it within Windows I went that route.
  • I completely forgot about this thread. I did find the cause of the stuttering. Something in the audiodg.exe process had an issue and disabling the sound enhancements in the audio playback fixed the problem. How I did this:

1) Right click sound icon and click Playback Properties
    2) Double click the one with the green check and go to the Enhancements tab
    3) Check 'Disable all sound enhancements'

This completely made the stuttering disappear. Thought I would share this.
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I was having the same issue with full screening games, I will try this if I still have a problem later on.