alienware m17x @ resident evil 5 issues

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas Member
edited April 2012 in Gaming
When i start the game the whole screen shutters. However when I run my copy of crysis 2 or what ever there is no issues.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Update your GPU drivers.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    I did that but I'm limited to version 257.38 on dells support site.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Get the drivers from AMD, not Dell. Always get GPU drivers straight from AMD/Nvidia unless it's not an option.
    These are nvidia drivers but i did go to the web site and downloaded version 295..... there after it gave me an error message that current hardware isn't compatible.

The laptop has integrated gtx9400 & two gtx 260.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    My m11x has that hybrid switch as well, which means updating straight from nVidia is out of the question. Not sure if your Alienware falls under the same umbrella, but I'd start hitting up notebookforums and see what people are saying.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    Ah... yes, the hybrid graphics. I have that in my new HP as well. What worked for me when I was having gaming issues was to go into the BIOS and switch the dynamic hybrid graphics mode off. This made it so I could just toggle between the low power and performance GPU in the video card drivers. Now I simply switch to the performance GPU when I want to play games and leave it on low-power any other time. Works well for me, though I'm not sure if you will have the same option (each model is different).

Otherwise, check your graphics drivers, you'll likely find settings related to which GPU to use. You may have to specify which GPU to use on a per-process basis (aka - dynamic mode).
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    Also, it sounds silly, but if you tried to update your drivers while in the 'lower' of your hybrid solution, the nvidia drivers probably wouldn't find the proper nvidia card - make sure you've got the proper GTX running at the time of update. It'll identify your graphics card as whatever is 'on' at the time. I can't update my nVidia drivers when my IntelGPU is selected and running.

IIRC, you can essentially 'break' the option of the hybrid solution and run full GPU performance all the time if you so choose with a driver update... it just kinda defeats the purpose of spending the money on those cool hybrid solutions, though.
    Well i fixed the problem. I updated the drivers to version 285............ and went into the bios to disable the 9400m integrated graphics.
    defective sli ribbon.