Valve Employee Handbook

AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and HubrisAlexandria, VA Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Gaming
Someone at work pointed this out to me, so it may or may not be legit, but it sure is interesting. Valve's New Employee Handbook (PDF.) Even if it's fake, it's very pleasing to look at.

Discuss.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Pretty sure it's legit; was on Hacker News the other day and I read the whole thing. Seems like a company that's extremely self-aware with strong, purposeful internal culture. The company didn't just happen in service to their products, it was methodically built. In that regard, it reminded me of Apple.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    I especially liked the notion that Hiring is the most important thing a company does... Most managers forget this and will jump at the first interviewee that can breathe and tie a half-windsor knot... talent is the most important (and most difficult) thing to spot during an interview...

Wish my company was more like Valve...
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2012
    Most managers forget this and will jump at the first interviewee that can breathe and tie a half-windsor knot...
    Ssshhhh.... I'm banking on this.

• LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    Most managers forget this and will jump at the first interviewee that can breathe and tie a half-windsor knot...

Go for the full-windsor and you got it made
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    I rocked a full windsor to my last interview and got the job. COINCIDENCE?
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I cannot tell you how much my company is sweating this handbook. Makes me feel like a rockstar that I showed it to them. It was brought up at least 3 times at the board dinner last night. I'm trying to convince them that they should send someone to Valve *ahem*me*ahem* to go chat with them about it more.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    @Annes They feel like they're doin' it wrong now?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    @annes - if you go to valve (and I mean just show up and walk into the front doors on your own effort) and ask for a tour, they WILL give you one. You can meet Gabe and everything. People on 4chan do it frequently. It's so easy, it's criminal.

(If you go to Valve tell me, because I'm going with you :D)
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian

Go for the full-windsor and you got it made
    Full windsor? What, am I going to a strip club?
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    Full windsor or put on a fucking dress.

Annes, you are a rockstar.