Would this play TF2 and T:A?

midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi(> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
edited April 2012 in Hardware
Newegg is having a sale. I'd really like to have something to take to EPIC to join in the lanny goodness, but it has to be cheap enough that I can still go to EPIC. For reference, this would really be pushing it. I'm mostly thinking the effort is a lost cause and I should just make beer instead.shoot for getting something for next year.

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Graphics

GPU/VPU
    AMD Radeon HD 6520G

Video Memory
    Shared system memory

Graphic Type
    Integrated Card
    I've yet to see an integrated laptop card be able to handle TF2 but I also am not intricate with the tweaking of the settings. We've had attendees share and use loaner machines the last two years I was there. Might be worth starting up a thread to discuss this as it will probably be your easier route to gaming at Epic.

-Digi
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    I think the 6520G would be TF2 capable. I've set up a couple A6 notebooks for folks before and although I've never tested them in gaming, these integrated graphics chipsets seem about as capable as the previous generation discrete laptop GPUs.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Alright, I'll think on it. I'll probably go the route Digi suggested and tuck back for something I can be certain about next year. Thanks!
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Looking into the specs of that laptop I'd say it should be able to run TF2 just fine, the 6520G actually supports DirectX11 and Shader 5.0, while TF2 needs a minimum of a DirectX 8.1. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is the 1.4GHz processor, that might require you to tone down some of the settings. If you do go for this and need help with figuring out ways to increase game performance, feel free to ask me, I had to do quite a bit of work with my old laptop and on my even older computer to get TF2 running smooth so I've got some experience in the area.
  • EMTEMT Seattle, WA Icrontian
    Toms Hardware organizes video cards into performance tiers (April 2012 version).

- Tribes:Ascend requirements - not met (6520G < 3870 < 8800 GT 512MB).
    - TF2 requires a DirectX 8.1 video card and recommends a DX9. Sounds like you're fine.
    - Diablo III (I'm looking at this one) requires X1950 Pro or 8800 GT, which are slightly better than 6520G and 6620G.

If you don't want to take a risk on T:A, look for firsthand accounts, and maybe keep shopping. While AMD APUs like the 6520G have been providing the best graphics value in the lower end of the price range, I also read that prices are coming down into this range on some laptops with discrete graphics, in order to make way for the upcoming Intel Ivy Bridge release.

My own current plan is to wait and see the performance and price of AMD's next APU release, Trinity, but no release date has been announced.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Dude, you can borrow a computer from me.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6520G.55734.0.html

In short: on low settings it would probably be playable, but just barely.

My favorite site (currently) for comparing mobile graphics hardware: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Dude, you can borrow a computer from me.
    Oh. Cool. :D