milestones and folding topics merged...?

edited February 2004 in Community
Would it be possible to merge the two into the block when the milestones are at... folding is sort of taking over the hot threads section a bit....... get a folding overdose when you come to the forum homepage...

Comments

• BriltBrilt brooklyn
    edited February 2004
    I second the motion. Its nice to get appreciated and all but sometimes out of 30 new posts 25 are milestones.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2004
    Brilt wrote:
    I second the motion. Its nice to get appreciated and all but sometimes out of 30 new posts 25 are milestones.
    The Notable Milestones never show up in the Hot Threads box. If people want to blow their own horn we ask them to do it in the milestone section, not the main team forum.

Occasionally there is big news in the F@H forum which spikes interest for a day or two, but the same thing happens in Graphics and Sound when a hot new Vid card comes out.

BTW: This is just my feeling on the subject, not a statement of official policy. :)
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited February 2004
    he's not talking about "hot threads" he's talking about when you press the button for "new posts", which is what i always do. i can understand them being there, but i'd kind of like to be rid of them. maybe shorty could make a vb hack to include an option or something?
    edited February 2004
    :rolleyes:

I can understand wanting a way to opt-out (barely :( ), I guess that's up to Shorty.

I'm going to go have a good cry now... :bawling:

:bigggrin:
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    To my knowledge, Shorty is working on creating or finding a hack to remove milestones from the "New Posts" area. It was setup up that way on VB2, but the same hack does not work for VB3.

Hot threads rarely suffers from folding overdose. It generally averages at about 1-2 folding topics in Hot Threads at a time, which really isn't bad. As I'm looking at it now, there's only one.

It was requested that milestones be removed from Hot Threads, so they were. Instead, they have their own section where they are ignorable if you're not interested :)

The "overdose" will get better once they are out of New Posts :) Just give it a little time.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    If it is absolutely necessary, I can work it in :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Agreed, they do not need to be in new posts for all users.

The one thing to think about, is that for a guest user they show the team is active and aware. If there were a way to opt out of areas you do not want to see new posts in, by member profile or options, and leave new users or guests seeing all new posts, that would help folks get a feel for the most active parts fo the forums. One of the reasons folks see so many new posts on Folding and the team is that we are ACTIVE. The threads reflect interests at the time.

I only show new posts that are active in last day, and scroll down and cherry-pick what I follow the new post links to see. This gets me rid of lots of threads that are short lived. Also, I clear the new posts counter adn the read forum areas afterward beofre I leave. Then my new posts list does not grow and grow. this limits what I see, and the number of extraneous things to me(from the point of view I have based on my interests) that I see.

This is probably more complex than simply sutting areas out of what is listed gloablly, but might better for users-- if it can be done in long term, please eventually let users choose what areas they want to exclude as far as topic or forum areas, in their options, or tie new posts to subscriptions to threads and tell folks to subscribe if they want new listings. First would probably be better. Some things, like the articles and reviews part, probably should nto be soemthing we want to let users lock themselves out of, but some things like folding, not all users here can do yet or for whatever reason they may choose to make other contributions to society.

I myself LIKE to see what is going on in the Team threads, a lot of experience proven howto gets blended into those threads. And, I like to keep the kettle boiling for folding. But, those who feel oversold should be able to opt out-- IMHO. :respect: meant and :respect: fully suggested.

John D.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited February 2004
    This is slightly off-topic, but I miss the "view today's active threads" link.
    "New Posts" is fine most of the time, but on occassion I am unable to load up the "New Posts" (for whatever reason . . . net connection takes a dive, or get called away, or simply forget to load up the new posts in another tab before clicking back to another program) when I visit and when I come back and click on "New Posts" there's only a few in there so I have no idea what all is new.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Would be nice if vBulletin had something for viewing active threads.
  • edited February 2004
    think it has sort of god confused as to what i was saying.... What i was thinking was that i might be better if there was a folding section where the milestones currently are sat where all the folding topics including milesstones are kept... so you have seperate tech topics and folding topics... see what i mean?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I caught what you meant; I was just trying to respond to everyone at once :) Personally, I'd rather not segregate F@H topics from everything else... milestones are only seperated because the nature of them makes it better this way so when a batch gets done it doesn't clog up the hot threads and new posts.
    edited February 2004
    In a perfect world...
  • edited February 2004
    or

:range: