Destroying IE

NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I've fairly recently changed browsers because I've found one I like. It is set as my default browser, I went through the File Defaults list and made sure that Internet Explorer wasn't set to anything.

When I use MSN Messenger (6) and click links from it, it brings the page up in IE. It does this for a few other things too, but can't remember what.

I've tried using the Windows XP Components uninstaller (although I know that IE can never truly be gone because its too extensively integrated into XP) to see if that will stop it from opening, but no luck. All it does is tricks the user into thinking its gone by removing shortcuts.

Can anybody help?

Comments

• KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited July 2003
    Microsoft software (i.e. MSN Messenger) could possibly be hardcoded to shell with IE rather than the default browser, although I can't confirm this. In that case, you're fighting an uphill battle. Just something to keep in mind.
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    I did think of that, but when I used Pheonix a few months ago, it opened that. Although it was MSN 5 then.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Just remember Messenger 6 is not released yet. It is for beta testing only and cannot be judged as a finished product. See if you get the same error when the official release comes out on Thursday July 17th.
  • MancabusMancabus Charlottesville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Certain proggies just like to use IE for some reason.

I. E. (no pun intended) Microsoft Outlook - It will open links from an e-mail you received using your default browser, but when you create a new e-mail and put a link, then click on it to see if it works IE opens it.

It must be in the code somewhere.
  • SpinnerSpinner Birmingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    This is the best I can come up with. Firstly the attached file is a IE removal program for all OS's up to Windows 2000 SP1, but not above, which means Windows XP isn't supported, however that doesn't mean it doesn't work. So you will have to try it for yourself.

Secondly, over a www.tweakxp.com they have this guide to removing IE under Windows XP, but it's not exactly very applicable to most setups, but the basic idea (they suggest) behind removing IE fully, is worth a try if you can figure out how to do it with your setup.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=1241

Cheers
  • edited July 2003
    Or you could switch to Trillian.

http://www.Trillian.cc

great prog, connects to AIM, MSN, Y!. IRC, and ICQ
  • El-CheapoEl-Cheapo Central California
    edited July 2003
    Windows Update#Q810565 is supposed to help Windows support default Browsers other than IE :

http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=EDEAB3C7-22B9-4D77-B0A4-5B4BB4D12FF0&displaylang=en

Can't say if it'd help you or not with you particular problem,but it looks like a step in the right direction...

ec
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    mIRC also opens windows in IE even when I have mozilla as the default (when nothing else did). I think thats hard coded into mIRC though.

NS
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    format c:\

insert linux CD
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    kanezfan said
    format c:\

insert linux CD

As long as its not Madrake or RedHat.....

NS