HP ZR2740w + 7950 displayport link failure

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
I have an hp zr2740w connected via displayport to a radeon 7950 (mini dp->dp cable). Most of the time, if the monitor goes to sleep, it will either not wake or wake with a 'displayport link failure'. The screen will be covered in static and displaying at 800x640. If it doesn't wake, sometimes I can toggle the power switch and it will wake, giving the same message. Sometimes toggling the power causes it to wake and work just fine.

I've updated to the latest radeon drivers (12.4). If I connect via DVI, I don't have this problem, but I have a second dvi-only monitor I am connecting to the only DVI port on the video card.

(double posting this with the 'official' HP support forums that appear to have next to zero activity)

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Your DP->DP adapter is probably failing. I've encountered this several times before, and it's almost always the adapter.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    Mine does the same all the time. Unplugging and replugging the USB power typically fixes it.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Your DP->DP adapter is probably failing. I've encountered this several times before, and it's almost always the adapter.
    It used to do this with my 5870 with the DP cable that came with the monitor. This is also a new mini dp->dp cable (that I bought from monoprice, so it could be bad i suppose)
    Mine does the same all the time. Unplugging and replugging the USB power typically fixes it.
    USB power? Like the usb cable?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I think Snark has a DL-DVI-to-DP adapter, which requires USB power.
    edited May 2012
    I think Snark has a DL-DVI-to-DP adapter, which requires USB power.
    ah, i do not have that, just a mini dp->dp cable. Is the cable bad? I'd assume that minidp-dp was just a straight through wiring that changed the shape/size. (And therefore it didn't really matter what quality cable I got)
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    just get a active miniDP to DVI ($20), since you probably have 100 DVI cables lying around :)

(yes I know that totally ignores your issue, but solves it none the less)
    just get a active miniDP to DVI ($20), since you probably have 100 DVI cables lying around :)

Yeah that's the last resort plan (plus it costs $20!)

well how much is a displayport cable or MiniDP-DP adapter?

$4.75

$4.75
    I'd by 4 of them then, sounds cheap, and you might have same problem down the road :)

$4.75
    I'd by 4 of them then, sounds cheap, and you might have same problem down the road :)

Well I have the problem with a mini dp-dp cable right now. I bought 2 at the same time, so I'm going to try the other one now....
    Do you have any suggested adapters?
    Turned out to be a bad monitor. Couple phone calls to HP, and they sent it to me next day.
    nice!