HALP! I don't know jack about AMD

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited May 2012 in Hardware
nor do I want to...

but...

AMD is cheaper. And I'm in need of a CPU/Motherboard

RULES: Micro-ATX | Quad-core or higher | USB3.0 | SATA3(6gbps) - 4ports or more | PCIE3.0 x16 (just need one) | DDR3 - 4 RAM Slots

Budget is CHEAP. I did say that right?

Basically suggest the cheapest CPU/Motherboard capable of gaming with the above requirements.

COOKIES TO WINNAR!

(thanks)

Comments

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    what games
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    He has a GTX 670 GPU shwaip so... ALL OF THEM?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2012
    From looking at Newegg, you will not find a mobo that has PCI3.0 yet on AMD motherboard

Wiki Source
    From looking at Newegg, you will not find a mobo that has PCI3.0 yet on AMD motherboard

Wiki Source
    yea in my 15 minutes of looking, I noticed that as well.

ignoring the GPU part of APU's, how well do they stack up? like the AMD A6-3670K & AMD A8-3870K?
    edited May 2012
    Unless @Thrax can correct me, I think that the A6/A8 loses its appeal against an LGA 1155 if you are using an external graphics card

Tom's Hardware
    edited May 2012
    Unless @Thrax can correct me, I think that the A6/A8 loses its appeal against an LGA 1155 if you are using an external graphics card

Tom's Hardware
    cheapest 1155 quad core = $180

or for $208

ASUS F1A75-M PRO + AMD A6-3670K or $15 more AMD A8-3870K

so... THRAX!
    edited May 2012
    Try looking at microcenter ad for their $50 off mobo deals. i5-2600K + mATX keyboard isn't bad with that or a Phenom IIx6 1075-T or something like that.
    edited May 2012
    heh, nice suggestion, except microcenter is 2 hours away (plus taxes) and the 2600k is i7 :)

how are the FX CPU's? I see the FX 4100 for $99
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Try looking at microcenter ad for their $50 off mobo deals. i5-2600K + mATX keyboard isn't bad with that or a Phenom IIx6 1075-T or something like that.
    i5-2500k or i7-2600k UIAM.

But, in AMD kinds of things, except for the non-PCI 3.0, look here.
    edited May 2012
    Well, Thrax is a Gigabyte fan, so I thought Gigabyte mobo. I was thinking an A8-3870k unlocked CPU to go with it.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    Gigabyte MOBO and AMD 965 BE. Cheap and game worthy...

It's not EXACTLY what you're looking for but it'll more then do for gaming. Not to mention the awesome price
    Would the 890GXM chipset be better? or not worth the $20?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
    edited May 2012
    Would the 890GXM chipset be better? or not worth the $20?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
    Figure on a different CPU with that motherboard. It does not have an AM3+ socket.

While you can use AM3-socket-needing CPUs in the AM3+ socket, you cannot go backwards well and use a AM3+-socket-needing CPU in an AM3 socket without some adverse consequences.

So, while the chipset might be nice, the socket paired with it is NOT nice.

ah! Thanks John. Yea I try not to understand the whole AM3/AM3+ thingy.
  • I'm not sure I would suggest it because it would be a really limited platform for upgrading long term, but if cheap is your goal you can find FM1 boards that meet your criteria for about $70 and there are some non APU Athlon II X4 FM1 CPU's for around $80. It's cheap and will be good enough to game paired with your GPU. Just food for thought, don't know that I would advise it though, an AM3+ board will give you better options moving forward. For $20 more than suggested you can go with the FX6100 which I can vouch for as a really decent gaming CPU (what I'm currently running).
    I really can't justify a 6-core CPU for gaming, AMD or Intel

Now for epeen sure, but games that utilize 6 cores, don't know any
    Well, this somewhat depends on what you are planning for system lifetime. There are none now, but in future, 3-4 years from now there are likely to be some that do so. Multiplayer games especially can use a thread per player or per two players-- or will do so. Are you saying server??? Later on??? If so, 20% greater cost to 30% greater cost now might pay off in less cost over three-four years time.

Then we get into other use factors.... If you want to render or do folding at home while gaming speedily, my laptop could do that except for graphics ability (it has a business-grade graphics combo setup), but it is a mere i7 laptop at 2.7-2.8 GHz on average (yes, it is turboing) running at 98% load all the time it is on which at home and plugged in is 24/7 almost. Folding gives the laptop an 85% load.

As folks have said many times before, graphics ability of a gaming box is over half of what it needs to be powerful for. Skrim at all-out fantastic graphics multi-threads, but no it does not do 6 to 8-way multithreading for the gaming processing portion of what it does itself.

But, it uses at least a thread for graphics gen (pre-rendering), and another thread or two for gaming as well. Folks think of the situation processing in gaming many times, but forget the simultaneous graphics pre-processing that has to occur for games to display without jittering and/or staggering. and at the same time progress with game situation processing by processing rule sets against player decisions under the hood. The harder the game, the harder both are to do.
    edited May 2012
    parts ordered.

friends LANBOX:

$098 SilverStone Temjin Series TJ08B-E
    $100 ASUS M5A88-M AM3+ AMD 880G
    $100 AMD FX-4100 Zambezi 3.6GHz
    $048 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
    $399 MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB
    $085 OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB (OS)
    $100 OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB (Games)
    $120 SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 HD204UI 2TB 32MB (Storage/Backup)
    $022 LITE-ON Burner
    $927 3x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-inch

Budget: $2000
    Spent: $1999

I think he will enjoy it

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    if you haven't ordered the monitors yet, you can save a bit of money here:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/74906/bh-photo-video-24-dell-u2412m-ultrasharp-ips-1920x1200-led-monitor
    "$927 3x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-inch"

damnnnnn. 3 monitors isn't a LAN box though :P
    Looks like a LANBOX slash MAINBOX from here.
    if you haven't ordered the monitors yet, you can save a bit of money here:

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/74906/bh-photo-video-24-dell-u2412m-ultrasharp-ips-1920x1200-led-monitor
    thanks for the link. he had already bought most of the stuff. i just finished it off with the CPU/Motherboard/RAM/2nd SSD
    edited May 2012
    "$927 3x Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24-inch"

damnnnnn. 3 monitors isn't a LAN box though :P
    heh, you only have to take 1 monitor to a LAN. I mean, I might be bringing 3, but that's better than 6 right?

He wanted to do 3 monitor gaming.
    edited May 2012
    I just called it a LANBOX due to the small case he got that we needed to fit components in to
    I just called it a LANBOX due to the small case he got that we needed to fit components in to
    Kidding.... :) To a degree, but it will do both. Good design.

Kidding.... :) To a degree, but it will do both. Good design.

I fully agree it could be used as a mainbox, and will probably turn that way with him getting more and more in to PC's. For now he just wants to game.

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Use Intel for CPU and AMD / ATI for graphics cards.