Upgrading, sort of, from Captivate to Skyrocket

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Science & Tech
A few weeks ago, my beloved Galaxy S Captivate developed a series of cracks on the screen. Within 24 hours the screen had bled completely black and while it was still usable, by memory, I could not make calls or send texts, only receive calls. Fast forward to today and I finally got the ok from the insurance provider to replace the phone with a Galaxy S II Skyrocket.

I'm kind of bummed about this, I loved my Captivate and have a custom GPS dock for it in my car. I also have a TON of data on the phone that I want to get off of it. How can I do this without having any access to settings on the phone? Also, from reading the reviews, the Skyrocket is going to be a completely different beast in terms of performance, especially here in LA with LTE (drat, only for a few more weeks). But my main question is about getting that data off the Captivate.

Suggestions? Tutorials?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Was it stored on mSD or on the phone itself? If phone, can provider do it for you? Other possibility is plugging phone into PC and accessing files via USB storage mode. Contacts should be synced to your google account if you had that enabled.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Contacts are synced (or at least were last time I checked) and a lot of my data files (class projects, downloaded images, music, etc) are on the 16gig mSD. Almost all the photo's I've taken are on the phone its self. All important phone numbers and contact info is stored on the SIM. AT&T told me since the screen was busted, they wouldn't be able to do a data dump, which I called bullshit on, walked out and called the phone insurer myself.

I am going to plug it in tonight, see if I can get to the data by remember which option to select on the phone, and where it was on the screen, when I plug in the USB cable. But its in my car, so I'm lazy and not doing it now.
    kk. There are probably a bunch of tricks we can do, but were you running stock, rooted, custom ROM?
    Running the phone specific version of 2.2 from ATT/Samsung.
    User manual with relevant pages that you may try include 140-142, but most of them require clicking on something.

They should be able to just plug the SIM into a machine, but they may lack similar capabilities that I observed in a T-Mobile store recently.

This "should" work, little leg work to get it setup, but will allow remote viewing of the screen even without root.
    Thanks! Will check back in tonight once I have attempted to get into the device.
    My "this should work" link is really pretty easy to use. You may need to install OEM drivers or try the google USB driver (you can get it from the SDK manager that they ask you to download, just make sure you uncheck anything that is not "Android SDK platform-tools" or "Google USB driver"
    Ok, I am having issues getting the SDK to recognize my device. could this be because the google usb driver will not install?
    Managed to get everything installed correctly after deleting the SDK and starting over, but still will not recognize the phone at all
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Dumb question-- is the phone on?
    @straight_man yeah the phone is on, but since the screen is completely dead, I can't tell if its loading correctly. Windows should at least be recognizing it as a connected device, which it is not, so I think the damage may have spread.
    edited June 2012
    Just plugged my ex's Galaxy S II (the one with the slide out keyboard) into my computer and the SDK and everything else just jumped into action and pretty much configured everything for me. This leads me to believe that the damage to the Captivate is far worse than I had earlier thought and this data may not be retrievable using resources available to me.

At least a lot of pics got uploaded to this machine about 6 months ago, so that means I have about 75% of the photos, just almost none from my time in California, which may be a blessing in disguise.

@Tushon that work around/program to see the screen works great, just needs a fully functional phone :-p
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    @straight_man yeah the phone is on, but since the screen is completely dead, I can't tell if its loading correctly. Windows should at least be recognizing it as a connected device, which it is not, so I think the damage may have spread.
    Well, badder damage or it has a discharged battery then.

Could be the battery, going to let it charge overnight and try again tomorrow night after work.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    With a dead screen and no way to enable debug or mass storage modes, so you can use the SDK or Windows Explorer, there's not much hope of rescuing information from the phone.
    $*(&*)%&@($*#*%&&%*$*(@)*$@)$*%#)$(%#

FedEx delivered the phone today...5 minutes AFTER I had left for work. Tomorrow I hope there is someone here (me or my ex) when they deliver, I don't trust some of the new tenants in the building, otherwise I would just sign the slip that was left today and have them leave it.
    Just got the phone, its awesome! Now to play with it some more before work
    Ok, seems that EVERYONE I talked to at AT&T, both on the phone and in the store, neglected to mention that I need an LTE SIM card in order to use data networks on this phone. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Guess I have to go in the damn store tomorrow and get a new SIM card
    edited June 2012
    It didn't ship with the phone? I guess that sorta makes sense if it came from a third party rather than AT&T, but you'd think they would partner better with them regarding that.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    How did you buy the phone?
    @Tushon @Thrax the phone was "purchased" through insurance for $125 to replace the Captivate. Going now to get the new SIM
    So, I got the new SIM, but the fun doesn't stop there! Turns out, NOBODY in the store, customer or employee, could access data networks. Fun times AT&T, fun times.
    Problem solved, had to get the data plan switched and the account updated to show the phone, which it wasn't showing for the tech I talked to, but was showing on my end? Who knows, but the phone works now and i managed to get a 21/2.5 speed test on LTE.
    There you go. Fun times. Now just get it rooted and you'll have TitaniumBackups next time!