Ping Issues

UPS-YuriUPS-Yuri New
edited June 2012 in Gaming
I'm having some serious ping issues in the evening. During the day I can get around 15-20ms on a ping test, and around 50-70ms on most TF2 servers. Then, at about 6:00 p.m. eastern, my ping will jump to the 180's on the ping test, and around 250-300 on most TF2 servers. Is there anything that my ISP can do, or is this just an issue of too much traffic? I'm going through a DSL, if that makes a difference. Thanks guys!

-Norm

Comments

• Well that's not fun. Maybe we can figure it out.
    Who else uses the Internet connection, and what are they doing at 6:00 p.m. eastern?
    Is your computer scheduled to do anything at that time?
    What server are you pinging when you do the ping test?
  • No one uses our specific internet connection. I'm not a PC guru, and frankly don't know much about them, especially internet stuff. Does other traffic in my area have anything to do with my speed (there are very few options where I live. Two to be exact). My PC is not doing anything at that time. There is nothing different with my computer at that time, and it lasts through what I might consider peak hours for people using the internet around here (6 p.m.-11 p.m.). I was using pingtest.net, which usually connects me to a server in Chicago (I live near South Bend, IN).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    OK, could be the ISP is not giving you a guaranteed rate, or could be lots of people using pingtest.net and getting the Chicago server. Is data flow at Speedtest.net test flow for different servers uniformly slow then also?

A ping is just a quick server response test. Speedtest.net does dataflow analysis and gives downloads and uploads, and then shows both results.
  • The way DSL works is that your ISP handles the routing, and the telecom company that monopolizes your area rents them out the lines which they then sort of sub-rent to you.

So there are three places where things can go wrong:
    1. Your end (most likely)
    2. The ISPs end (most likely given the circumstances you describe
    3. The telecom's end (usually not the case given your circumstances)

On that note, DSL is run on independent lines. You share a backbone and high powered router with other subscribers, but that's it. It's unlikely it can't handle evening loads ... but it could be the case.
    ===

Here is what I recommend:

Isolate your Internet connection to two devices. Turn every other computer, mobile device, netflix enabled console, etc. off. Just two devices. Run the ping test on both at separate times. Are they both really slow? If it is just one that is slow, you know it is just that device that has the issue. Let us know, we can figure out the problem.

If they are both slow, reboot your router and modem, then try the speed test again.
    Still both slow? Call your ISP.

• At Speedtest.net I get great results. My ping is generally 20-50, download speed is 2.4-2.5 mbps (I have a 3mbps connection...not great I know), and upload is around 60. But Pingtest still shows terrible pings, and TF2 is getting between 170-250, while speedtest.net is giving me great results. I may have to call my ISP, but I hate doing that.
  • Thanks guys. I've thought about doing what PirateNinja described, using two isolated tests. What's funny is that the only thing connected to this internet is our computer. We live in an extremely low-tech house, mostly because we are poor with a baby! I'll run the isolated tests tomorrow and get back with you guys. I appreciate all the input.
  • I just hooked up a PC that I know is pretty finely tuned, and I get the same ping issues. I get 150ms ping on pingtest.net, and 50 on speedtest.net. I haven't installed TF2, so not sure what kind of ping that will give me, but I'm getting the same readings on those two cites with both PCs. Should I just give my ISP a holla?
  • Sure! Give them a call, it can't hurt. Just don't do it when you are stressed out .. and try to make sure you have 30-50 minutes of free time set aside for the call.

The first thing they are likely to do is have you power cycle (turn off then back on) your router and modem. You may want to try that first before calling them.

If you do that, and still have issues then your ISP can run what's called a line test and perhaps check in with the telecom's central office to make sure nothing is bad on their end.

Good luck, keep us posted or let us know if we can somehow help more.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ping, literally, is how long it takes for a signal to bounce to a remote computer and then have the remote computer send a signal back. Speedtest.net gives dataflow, that is flow of data once a data connect is established. A mere and only Ping problem can mean a server at remote end is busy with data flow work and is programmed to delay ping returns if busy with dataflow.

When you get bad pings, in evening, try dataflow at speedtest.net. If you get good dataflow and games perform well once they connect to a game server, then bad ping will be something your ISP can do little about if it is isolated and not universal.

Try speedtest.comcast.net to get a combo of both results. It does minimum ping to choose server, then a data test, and will let you manually compare servers by choosing other servers.
  • If you get good dataflow and games perform well once they connect to a game server, then bad ping will be something your ISP can do little about if it is isolated and not universal.
    My biggest issue is in gaming. For instance, TF2 is constantly giving me a ping around 200+, even when I've been in the game for a while. Then sometimes it will jump down to a normal <100ms, but right back up to 200+. For some reason, even when sites like speedtest.comcast.net give me a good reading, pingtest.net is giving me terrible readings at night, which is the same time that TF2 is giving me issues.
  • The fact that you have problems at the same time every day indicates a problem, no doubt. Are you on wireless? Is it secure? Possibly a neighbor is using your Internet every evening at 6:00pm?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Are you connected with wireless or ethernet to your router?
  • Connected ethernet, but it is a wireless modem (I don't know the correct term...the wireless router is built into the modem). It is password protected, but is there some way to see if someone has hacked it?
  • If you have to type a password to connect to your wireless, then you have cleared the first hurdle in security.
    The next is to make sure you use WPA2, and not WEP. WPA2 and WEP are security settings in your router that define the encryption on your password. WEP is outdated, WPA2 is basically the new stuff.

Honestly, your best bet is to call the ISP and have them walk you through over the phone to check on that. They likely already have the make and model of your modem/router and may even know the password to get in to it's settings and make sure everything is ok.

Just call your ISP and start the call like this:
    I have two issues:
    1. My connection is slow every day at 6:00pm, but fast earlier in the day.
    2. I want to make sure my router's wireless is password protected with WPA2, not WEP.

They will take you through it from there. Just be patient, in a good mood, and have an hour of time set aside. Tech support is never easy, but if you go in to it with the right attitude you can come out smiling.

Good luck Yuri!