OpenBSD misadventures...

RobRob Detroit, MI
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
AAhhh OpenBSD... Did you say LSD? this things a trip...

Fighting my way thru the install. Partioning is writen in alien or something. Make it to networking, and it stops... Fun, wheres the error messages? *shrug*

Hardware check, yup, standard should support stuff... Intel server hardware, standard nics..

/me thinks to himself, damn, I thought you were good at this stuff...

Now my gut instinct is fsck BSD, I'll throw *insert any linux* on it and go.. But then a little voice in the back of my head says packetfilter and I remember. I'm told I could filter 100Mbps with this thing, just what i need!!

Now I know how alice felt when she tumbled down the rabbit hole.

Comments

• SlickSlick Upstate New York
    edited July 2003
    Yea, I stood to get FreeBSD installed (about the 15th retry, no joke), before I threw it out. Everytime I would be installing and I would hit the wrong damn thing, and with no way to go back, I was screwed. Then when I did finally get the thing installed. I loggin, type startx, and get some really great internal errors. Then I was just like, screw this.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited July 2003
    Well, I liked FreeBSD. First try, installed it on 7 ISP1100 servers.

I didn't spend any time in the box, just a basic install then handed the machine off.

Now OpenBSD's.. a bit.. different. I just got the install on this machine (second try) Not sure WTH happened the first time, but its running now.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited July 2003
    This is fun.
    I've got both network devices configured and bridged. still playing with the pf.conf but its now pushing traffic across it.

Now, fun time, writing the filtering rules. This should prove to be a learning experience :)