Looking for feedback on a Dell UltraSharp U2412M...

ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
edited June 2012 in Hardware
I'm about to purchase this monitor, but I have no experience with IPS panels. The only con I see is the 8ms response time, and since this will be used for gaming, I'm not sure what kind of impact this will have. Any owners with first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there is an alternative in the $300 price range? The 24" and 16x10 AR are preferable, but no deal-breaker.

Thanks all!

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Well, one reviewer in England has noted that with high-speed motion one can notice lag in refreshing with that monitor-- meaning you get ghost of old image and part of new image at same time for about 25 ms.

It is possible that has been eliminated in production since that review, and @fatcat bought three of those for a friend and fatcat is a gamer, and the monitors are for a gamer-to-be. Fatcat said he likes them.

I do not have that model to tell you what I think about it first hand. Depends partly upon where in the world you are, how old a production-aged U2412M you might get. US will get recent production, for the most part. Newegg now has close to the best price.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    Most reviews are great but they seem to vary from no ghosting to somewhat distracting. I'm on my PC quite a bit, so if it's at all an issue, I'll go with something else. Plus, I trust user comments here over newegg any day.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    There is no ghosting (I play Mass Effect 3, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2, etc) on mine.

You WILL need to adjust the settings. I can give you mine if you like. It is WAY too bright out of the box.

The HP ZR24w is a similar model/price. When I researched the Dell, the most common advantage over the HP was the Dell ran much cooler and had better blacks.

I love the 2412m. I want 6 of them. x1200 resolution is great.
    That is beautiful news. I've read the monitor is a little blue out of the box, so your setting would be great. Thanks again.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Everyone's setting will be different, because no two LCD panels are the same. You'll have to experiment, or buy a calibrator.
    Every LCD is different, but using calibrated settings should get me close. If panel variances were that extreme, companies wouldn't have preset profiles on monitors.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Every LCD is different, but using calibrated settings should get me close. If panel variances were that extreme, companies wouldn't have preset profiles on monitors.
    Well, it would be quiute hard to do so, yes. PART of the problem, though, is everyone sees color different also-- one of my eyes sees things more yellow-green-bright, one sees more blue-green-bright. Calibrating helps, but truly fine calibrating is most needed for matching printing and video displays to extreme closeness of similarity, or matching color photos from a calibrated camera to displaying.

I used to try adjusting our TV of early color TV kind with one eye closed, and then with other eye closed-- it had a knob for each of red, blue, and green, and one for contrast, and one for brightness. My dad thought I had adjusted the TV too reddish/warmish and kept trying to readjust it, my mom thought it was too dark but not too reddish-- and thought my dad's settings were too greenish. My modern Lenovo laptop had a panel that looked calibrated pretty good but a little blue, so I fixed it as best as I could over time.

Lesson, it may be individual color perception that yields some of the color distortion effect comments.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    The HP ZR24w is a similar model/price. When I researched the Dell, the most common advantage over the HP was the Dell ran much cooler and had better blacks.
    I'll vouch for the heat on the HP ZR24w. I have three of them set up in my home office, and those displays will raise the temperatures in that room by at least ten degrees. It's insane.
    heh, yea I meant I'll share my settings as a starting point.

i was able to get the whites, white and the blacks, black(as can be on LCD) to my eyes.
    Alright Fatcat, finally got the monitor. Coming from a 19" this thing is MASSIVE! Anyway, monitor settings I've got so far:

R=96, G=93, B=87
    Contrast=75, Bright=65.

If you can suggest any software, that would be great. I don't think I've ever had to calibrate one before. Thanks again, man.
    I'm at expo so also see this thread. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1615513

Brightness: 27
    Contrast 75
    R: 96
    G: 93
    B:87
    Sharpness: 80
    Energy Smart: Off
    DDC/CI Enable
    LCD Conditioning: Disable

thats what I got. use a +1 gamma in games. find it gives me very good black levels
    After 2 weeks with this monitor, I'm convinced I'll never go back to a TN panel. The Dell U2412M has got to be one of the best deals in this market. Fatcat, your setting are right on the money.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.