Ragin' About TERA.

BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Gaming
WARNING: Lots of coarse language ahead.

So I picked up TERA yesterday for 60 bucks (collector’s edition, the regular price is 50 bucks), because I’d played the in-browser Java demo, and it looked and played pretty good. I’d double-checked my system specs and the requirements beforehand, since Korean-based MMOs (especially big-budget localized releases like this) tend to go a little crazy with making things pretty. Thankfully, my system specs more than passed the -recommended- specs (not just minimum, mind you), so I figure, you know, I can just shut some things off and play it just fine.

Not a big deal really- I shut off things like Specular and such at the INI level for games like Fallout New Vegas and don’t have a problem. Trust me, when you’ve had to deal with gaming on shitty PCs like I’ve had to do in the past, it’s something you get over.

So I spent about 10 hours downloading/patching the digital release til about 2-3 in the morning. By the time I got around to getting the game booted up, I was just too tired to stay awake.

I get up this morning and start booting up this game…and I’m getting gigantic amounts of UI lag on the title screen(?!?) and character creation. (Side note- the way they do their UI scaling is fucked. Seriously, at 1024 resolution the smaller text is illegible unless you crank the UI scaling WAY up.) I decide to power onward through character creation and into the prologue to see if they just made the title/selection screens busy as fuck and that actual gameplay would be fine.

I get in the game, and everything looks pretty, the game auto-detecting my video settings fairly high.

And this game runs choppy as shit. I’d have been surprised if I was managing about 8 frames a second.

So I figure it’s just the autodetection, and start turning things down. Barely anything helps. So I decide to say “Fuck it” and nuke all of the settings down to minimum that I can get my hands on, and then gradually go up. So I nuke them- now I have absolute minimum draw distance to boot on top of everything, meaning I’ll get big-ass trees suddenly popping up 50 feet in front of my face that were invisible before.

The game has now improved. Going at a marvelous 10 frames per second. I was fucking shocked.

So I go online. Apparently a lot of other folks are having this same issue with TERA. the short of it is, I’ve tried several fixes. Apparently the sliders available don’t allow you to shut off things like Anisotropic Filtering, Ambient Occlusion, Bloom, that sort of thing. So after some research, I edited the .INI files to cap my FPS at 30, shut off all of the AA, AO, all of that bullshit to strip it way down, and work on it from there.

The game is now stripped to it’s very base, and looks like off-colored shit. I’m now getting 20 frames standing still. Not -great- but playable.

I start moving, I get to 15. I get into COMBAT, and it drops to 8 or less.

Keep in mind that, supposedly, I pass the recommended requirements with flying colors. And apparently people with -decent- gaming rigs (mine is close to acceptable), that can run more intensive games, are having major issues themselves. This is NOT good work.

I’m out 60 bucks for a piece of shit I can’t even play, and I’m mad as hell.

Comments

• TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    If you checked the System specs on, www.canyourunit.com it may be misleading you.

Have you tried searching for fixes or some other people with the same problem?
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    I checked the system specs both from the website, and used the official support tool for the game to check it as well. spelled it out pretty much in black and white.

Small update- for some reason, apparently playing in windowed as opposed to fullscreen seems to help (when it's fullscreened, it's still at 1024 res, I don't mean just maximizing the window). I'm not entirely sure why that is, but I can get it to somewhat run ok now, as long as it doesn't get too busy. Not sure what it'll mean for later on when there's lots of folks fighting at once though.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I’m mad as hell.
    Have you tried,
    not taking it anymore?