BSoD when playing almost any game

jumpstylerzjumpstylerz Member
edited June 2012 in Hardware
Hey guys, I recently upgraded my mother board from the Asus p8h67-m motherbard to the gigabyte p67a-ud3p-b3 motherboard to accommodate for my sound card, and ever since then I have been having BSoD errors about 75% of the time I play almost any game, it seems to happen the most with battlefield in minecraft but I have had it happen in forsaken world, blacklight: retribution and Gmod. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have updated all my drivers and run the disk check utility and all have come up clean, as well as all virus and malware scans have come up clean.

System specs:
Operating System: MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P67A-UD3P-B3 (Socket 1155)
Graphics: 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives: 977GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device (SATA)
Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio (Vista)

BSoD report:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 3081
Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7a
BCP1: FFFFF6FC4003D978
BCP2: FFFFFFFFC000000E
BCP3: 0000000005AB0BE0
BCP4: FFFFF88007B2F000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Comments

• kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    It's almost universally recommend that if you change mobo's you should do a clean install. At the very least I'd suggest you do a repair install.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    ^^
  • So try a repair install? I don't want to do a clean install because I have almost 800gb of stuff that I have no where to back it up to and I have a small download limit per month so I kind of don't want to go through the trouble of replacing all of it
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Rule number one is to backup hard-to-replace things as a regular task. Can you afford to do this:

1. Get, buy or borrow, a large USB external HD;

2. Make yourself a folder on it, copy what you want backed up onto it-- do not do a full system image(in this case you do not really want that);

3. Do a clean install if a repair install does not work;

4. Copy your stuff back onto it from the external drive???

Once the stuff is backed up, if you bought the external USB HD, doing full reinstalls can become easier if things get messed up. I have Windows Media Player pointed at my external USB HD, for example.

I also "routinely" back up my downloads including program archives downloaded and print emails containing serial numbers for programs should I decide to reload them. This backup I do once a week, but the printing out of important stuff I do once a day.
  • Well when I had an external, all three times it crashed within 6 months, however the repair install didn't work and I have managed to procure another board to accommodate my sound card, when I went to replace it I had noticed that the GPU had been slightly dislodged, I bumped it back in, took out my sound card and booted it back up all fine. Going to try and play some BF3 to see whether it was dislodged before I took the sound card out and was causing a problem or whether it was the sound card itself.

The board I will be swapping it out for is a gigabyte H61M-USB3-B3, it's a smaller board with less ram slots but I only need 2 in the first place so that won't be an issue. I have also checked and my GPU shouldn't interfere with anything on the board, should it come to having to swap it out. I realise it's a bit of a downgrade from my old old board (the asus) but it can fit my sound card which is ultimately my goal in the whole motherboard upgrade.
  • Alright, so I replaced the board and it was running fine for a day, but today it started rebooting my computer while I'm playing tribes, I haven't tried it on any other games yet but I will be doing that now. I have also tried a different PCIe sound card as that was the only thing different added since my original build in case it was that and have also tried having now sound card and there was no difference. It's beginning to really annoy the shit out of me so any help would be amazing