Internet outage at Expo Icrontic

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited June 2012 in Community
Got a letter from Wide Open West today about Saturday's internet outage. I thought it was pretty awesome. This kind of response is exactly why I love WoW:
Dear Customers,

If you were home on the evening of Thursday, June 21st or Saturday, June 23rd you most likely experienced problems with your WOW! service. First and foremost, I want to apologize for the interruption and any inconvenience we caused you or your family. I was also impacted at my home and fully appreciate your difficulty in communicating with your world. Although this type of occurrence is rare, we take them very personally and therefore do everything possible to prevent them in the first place. We are also not perfect and as a valued customer you deserve to know what happened.

The cause of the outage is a very complicated issue and one that IT professionals could appreciate but most of us don’t understand. I will try to make it simple. New equipment was recently installed on our main fiber optic network that supports all of metro Detroit to support the growing data traffic that flows from businesses. The new equipment sent unexpected and unnecessary data onto the network and overloaded the processing capacity. The only analogy I can draw for you is what happens with rush hour traffic right here in the Motor City. Hundreds of thousands of cars flood the freeway in a short period of time and causes traffic to crawl. Eventually there is an accident as cars attempt to jockey for a better position and traffic stops. In our case, data represents the cars and our fiber network is the freeway. The data traffic was unexpected and the new equipment was tested and used in other parts of our company for several years. So unlike rush hour, the impact was not predictable. During this time, if you attempted to call us I don’t have to tell you it was difficult if not impossible to reach us.

Our team jumped into action and began working with equipment vendors to solve the problem. Our internal team implemented a filtering solution that prevents any unnecessary data from passing onto our fiber freeway. As of Sunday, the issue is solved and data continues to flow properly throughout our network. Our Network Operations Center monitors our network 24 hours a day, seven days a week and we are committed to offering you a service that lives up to our name.

Again, thank you for your business. I hope you have a wonderful 4th of July week.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Here was my response:
    Hi Mark,

We recently held the ninth annual Expo Icrontic at a venue which used WoW (which we upgraded specifically for the event). We had 60 gaming geeks in the middle of a big Team Fortress 2 tournament when the internet died on us and basically put an end to that.

We're all geeks, we understand. Stuff happens.

Rather than get mad and whine about it online (and boy, did I see some mean things said online), we went upstairs, unplugged, and played a game of Werewolf, which is sort of a big-group campfire-ish roleplaying game. No internet, or even electricity, required.

It was a huge hit, and it gave our group the opportunity to stretch out, unplug, and have a different kind of fun. So for that, I'll say "thank you".

It's kind of like when we had the huge power outage in 2003; it was actually pretty awesome when you step back to look at it ;)

Take care and thank you for the awesome service. I've always been a happy WoW customer both at home and work, and your letter explaining the situation cements my belief that you guys are the best option in Michigan.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I genuinely miss having WideOpenWest as my ISP.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    I genuinely miss having WideOpenWest as my ISP.
    I really wish I could have WoW as my ISP! :(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm going to miss them TERRIBLY when we move to Detroit and have only Comcast as an option :(
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    I'm going to miss them TERRIBLY when we move to Detroit and have only Comcast as an option :(
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    I hate them But no choice have to live with what I got

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    Here is one way to deal with Comcast:

Randomly speed test them at: http://speedtest.comcast.net and keep track of the results. In my case, I found that if I got slow results on one server testing, invariably I got much better results on another server. When that was not so, I called and complained if I could give them averages that were only 80% of rated speed.

I think after a while they started LOGGING my (and other folks') speedtests (I have a fixed IP and they can trace to the local node by IP subrange) themselves, because I never saw slow service tests after a while. Even while Tropical Storm Debby was making landfall and Punta Gorda streets were flooded and the wind gusted to 35-40 mph, I (in Punta Gorda, FL) got rated speed of service.

In Punta Gorda, they are guaranteeing speed of internet service now, as folks went to Century Link DSL en-masse when they did not. Punta Gorda is a tiny market for Comcast, the nearest local node is 15 miles away in Port Charlotte.

Mark me down as a once cursing-at-Comcast customer who almost went to DSL who is now happy with their service.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    We had Comcast before we switched to WoW. We bought a bundle that included internet+phone+cable all for no more the $90. After the first month we got a bill that was $175, and after days of fighting with the customer service lady, they said they would give us a "break" from this bill. So we got our new bill and the price was $154......after that we just canceled our so called $90 bundle and ordered from WoW.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I have had literally no problems with comcast. I've been on a discounted rate almost the entire time I've had their service (probably 3 years now). When I see my rate go above the promo rate, I open up a chat window and ask them if I'm eligible for the rate advertised on the website. The answer is always 'no', but then you ask them if there are any rates you are eligible for. I've never had them say 'no', and it usually knocks off at least 30% of my bill.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2012
    I have had literally no problems with comcast. I've been on a discounted rate almost the entire time I've had their service (probably 3 years now). When I see my rate go above the promo rate, I open up a chat window and ask them if I'm eligible for the rate advertised on the website. The answer is always 'no', but then you ask them if there are any rates you are eligible for. I've never had them say 'no', and it usually knocks off at least 30% of my bill.
    Likewise, and everytime I move they do free install and service transfer to my new place. <3 Comcast. xoxoxo
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Comcast/XFinity is one of those "Awesome until..." services. Most people have no problems, but once you do have a problem, they tend to be a nightmare to deal with.

Unfortunately, there are far too many companies like that out there.