Files in one folder are write protected (can't edit) but files are accessible

edited July 2012 in Science & Tech
I have a 2nd internal drive that I use mainly for storage. Within it, I have several folder structures where I have organized files. I have music files in several folders and I can access all of them, listen to the files, but I can't edit the files such as editing the name of a file or applying a tag to the file itself because I get a popup from Vista stating the disk is write protected or file is currently in use. I've restarted but the files are still in use. The only way I've found around this is to create copies of the files themselves and then I'm able to edit those and place the newly copied files into a new folder.
I've checked the permissions for the folders and they're always marked as Read-Only, I unmark them and when I check the permissions again they're marked again! In the properties of the hard drive, under Security, everyone has permissions with the files with the exception of the "CREATOR/OWNER". I try to change that, the attributes seem to apply to all the files on the hard drive and then upon checking again, "Sorry creator, these files evolved on their own" and I'm back where I started.

I would simply just copy the files and put them all into a new folder and then do so as I please but that would take forever rather than just trying to figure out how to work around this. I can copy, play and/or delete the files, but I can't edit them.

It's just one folder with music where I cannot edit the files, which happens to contain a variety of files too large to copy and be done with. All other folders within the root of the drive don't have this problem.