HTC One S camera focus problem and solution

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Science & Tech
I just recently got a T-Mobile HTC One S, and I've been extremely happy with it in most respects, except for one. I use my phone as a storytelling tool and so the camera is one of the primary functions for me. The HTC One S has a strange problem with the auto-focus at macro ranges.

When you get close to any object, it will come into sharp focus and then quickly blur, with an audible "click" as it sounds like the focus ring snaps back to the furthest setting. You can tell that the camera is capable of focusing on close objects because you can see it get super sharp for a quick second, but you lose it as the auto-focus screws up and goes blurry.

At first I thought it was a physical problem, and I was about to call T-Mobile to have the phone replaced. However, I did some searching on the web and realized it might be a software issue.

To fix it, I disabled face recognition in the camera settings, and suddenly it works fine. I hope that in a future software update they'll fix this problem that mars an otherwise amazing phone.

Hope this helps somebody else!