Sony RX-100

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Lifestyle
So I picked up a sony RX-100 as a nice pocket/travel camera. It's pretty cool and fun to play with.

The main claim to fame is the large aperture lens (f/1.8 on the wide end) to go with a relatively large point-and-shoot sensor.

I'm going to write up a quick review / overview sometime in the next couple weeks. Any questions you want answered or sample images you want to see?

Comments

• erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    sony makes good cameras. I like my HX9V
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    hey @shwaip

two cameras you have recommended to me are the Canon S100 and the Sony RX-100

The Canon is $350, the Sony being $650

Are there any cameras you recommend between those two in price?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    tbh I haven't looked at much other than those two, at least in that form factor. I wanted something pocketable that gave me control over aperture and shutter speed.

I chose the rx-100 because I like low light/no flash photos and the larger sensor and wider lens lets me do that. Also, I like fancy, shiny things (and my parents gave me some money to help buy it). I'd say that unless you had a specific reason, the s100 is definitely the camera to go with, especially if you want something that you can just toss in a pocket.

The s100 will be great because you can get very good results just using the more automatic modes, but you'll have enough control over the other functions of the camera to get better at photography as well.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    The G11/G12 are also in that range and might be worth a look. Depends what you're going for, though.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    Snarkasm said:

The G11/G12 are also in that range and might be worth a look. Depends what you're going for, though.

Yup, they are both very good cameras. A bit bigger, which is fine if you're not looking for something to keep in a pocket.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Wanna see a sample shot of a water drop, and a night-sky shot if you can. :D
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Very nice.