Just Cause 2 Shenanigans

QuadyTheTurnipQuadyTheTurnip Icrontian
edited July 2012 in Gaming
So, there's a group out there who are making a mod to add multiplayer to Just Cause 2. It's quite buggy at the moment, but they're doing regular beta tests on most weekends. @ErrorNullTurnip and I played around with it today, and it is downright hilarious.

When they have a release version of the code, I'm putting together an Icrontic JC2 server. Because seriously, it is way too much fun (and the test server had probably over one hundred people on it, as you could just tool around the island and run across bunches of random people doing crazy stuff).

So here, some highlights from our shenanigans:

This is from before ENTurnip joined me, and I along with another friend grabbed some helicopters and strafed a military airfield, shooting down anyone who attempted to take off in any aircraft. Then we hopped out and let some other players grab our choppers, but I decided to go for a ride too (The numbers after everyones' nicknames are how far they are from you):
When Error joined me, we found a civilian airfield, grabbed some planes, and decided to head to the south-east of the map to find that military airfield I had conquered earlier

We did some Bridge limbo along the way

The military airfield had one of the rare military cargo jets! Turns out I'm terrible at flying them! Error grabbed it to keep it from despawning or being stolen by another player (as you can't hijack vehicles from other players when they're inside the vehicle at the moment) while I went looking for a truck to pull it back onto the runway

Another player blew up my truck on a strafing run, so we abandoned the cargo plane and took to the skies ourselves to enact vengance

I died at some point, and respawned a few islands over. Error flew his chopper and I grabbed a speedboat to meet up in the middle. Then we used a grappling hook to use the chopper to grab the speedboat

Our second attempt ended with the chopper being pulled underwater for some reason. Here it is, moments before.

We took some time to try and raceboats over chunks of land, picking up enough speed so that our momentum would push us over an island or peninsula back to the water.

Then we just tried ramming each other. Here's Error's attempt to ram my military boat

It's still very buggy (it locked up whenever I tried to quit, animations for other players break a lot, and weird physics/lag glitches are common), but even if they released the server software as is at the moment, I'd still try to get a server running for us to mess around in.

Comments

• Now, WITH VIDEO!

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    That is absolutely horrifying, but I must admit there is beauty to 600 people trying to kill each other all at once in some of the most hilarious ways in gaming history.
  • The world is big enough that you can grab some friends and travel away from population hubs to mess around if you wish. Also, yes, it's hilarious.
  • Thread necro because MP has been live for some time. @NiGHTS‌
    and I played tonight. So hilariously good.

http://imgur.com/a/cmOTU

Tushon
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

Does it work better these days? It was sooooo buggy for a long time.

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian

It's a Steam download, now - so it's improved in that sense from a 'click and play' standpoint.

Everything's a lot more polished. The server we were on seemed to be some sort of "official" JMan server that allowed you to build stuff. It was entertaining, but came with the added bonus of CTDs when you used to boost button at an invisible ceiling in the world.