Icrontic Oktoberfest 2012 planning

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I guess I'll just show up with my bedding and see what things look like. If there's no place to put my bed, I'll just make the 20 minute drive to the affordable hotel when sleepytime comes.

Stupid humans.... This whole thing would be so much easier if we didn't have to sleep all the damn time.
    WagsFTW
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Hmm.. I meant the "Pub."
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    We'll just roll a 55 gallon oil drum up to the attic, start a fire and experience true detroit ;)

Or, you can all MTFU and use a sleeping bag. Whatever works :p
    mertesnTushon
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    The attic is pretty full, but if you cleared space I think it would be fine, just really cold. Bring lots of blankets.

I would offer to come help clean it up before next weekend, but alas, I have not the time. :/
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    fatcat said:

Or, you can all MTFU and use a sleeping bag. Whatever works :p

Yeah, I don't mind the cold, I've slept through some pretty cold conditions (I even earned the Boy Scouts not-very-coveted 'Polar Bear' patch), and I'll have a full bed with me to boot (I travel light with a mattress, pad, sheets, blanket, and comforter) so that's not my concern. The trouble right now is that we have one person who lives there telling us that everything is not so bad and people can sleep all over, and another person who lives there saying that everything is too horrible or crowded to sleep near.

So, I guess I'll just have to see when I get there.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    We're working on the issue at both ends (attic and basement).
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Late night is in no way a problem for either of us. Basically, just need somewhere to lay my head to recharge for a few hours before heading home sometime on Saturday.

If there's a chance of space in the attic, I have no problem with cold. I'll load up the camping gear and be ready to roll.

Either way, no difficulty with wherever I end up crashing (as long as it's not between Brian and Nicole).
  • My body is ready.
    UPSLynxGnomeQueen
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Tonight I am packing a giant bag of beer and clothing. Possibly two if the first exceeds the 50lb airline limit.
  • Oh right, I need to go buy beers.

Happen to know how many bottles can fit in a fairly large suitcase, @mertesn?

Oh right, I need to go buy beers.

Happen to know how many bottles can fit in a fairly large suitcase, @mertesn?

That answer depends on the size of the suitcase and the shape of the bottles. I tend to also wrap each bottle in a layer of bubble wrap, so that affects the overall number.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Just a thought, but I'm hoping others will be interested in something quick. I'm brining my passport with me just so I can hop across the border and enjoy a beer or 2 with any other fellow IC member(s) that care to join me (if possible).
    I mean really, how often (yearly I guess now thinking about it and IC events) are you going to get together with people from all over and then have the opportunity to just hop a border for a beer with them? Nothing ridiculously crazy, just another small story to pop in the life book.
    JBoogaloo said:

Just a thought, but I'm hoping others will be interested in something quick. I'm brining my passport with me just so I can hop across the border and enjoy a beer or 2 with any other fellow IC member(s) that care to join me (if possible).
    I mean really, how often (yearly I guess now thinking about it and IC events) are you going to get together with people from all over and then have the opportunity to just hop a border for a beer with them? Nothing ridiculously crazy, just another small story to pop in the life book.

I have no passport right now. Otherwise I'd be all over that :(
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I have a passport that is expired from when I was 16. Does that count?
    @Tushon and @Mertsen I probably could have thought about this a bit sooner, but it didn't occur to me until last night when I was going through my stuff to pack and I ran across the ol' "little blue booklet"...lame I know.
    edited October 2012
    If you're going to Canada, plan on it taking hours just in transit. US border agents are dickbags, both ways.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    (Not hours. Tack on an extra 30 minutes)
    Maybe it was the gimp in the back seat that made it take so long.
    JBoogalooThraxAlexDeGruvenGnomeQueen
    edited October 2012
    Ok, Prime and Lincoln...Do you believe it would be reasonable to take a couple hours in the early afternoon to get this done (start to finish) maybe on Friday afternoon or Saturday afternoon? Or would it just be high hopes to get this done without a high risk of losing a whole day? I'm not dying to get it done, but if I can I'd like to (with others interested), ya know?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    I've gone to Canada for lunch and dinner several times within the last year and a half; at most it takes an extra 45 minutes to cross the border. I'd say realistically, take 3-4 hours out of your day to set aside for a Canada trip.

That said, MotorBurger is my favorite hamburger place on Earth and they have adult milkshakes :D
    JBoogaloo

they have adult milkshakes :D

There are so many NSFW references to be made here...
    Thanks for the info, Prime! 4hrs at the most is what I was looking at.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Dude, so want to try Motorburger.
    Anyone have any SoCal beers you'd like me to try and find to bring? I'm going shopping later tonight, but will look for suggestions if anyone has anything particular in mind.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Same for TX, if desired. I've got two specials coming already.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

Anyone have any SoCal beers you'd like me to try and find to bring? I'm going shopping later tonight, but will look for suggestions if anyone has anything particular in mind.

This is a longshot, but Hanger 24 Orange Wheat. They're in Redlands, and I'm not sure how far they distribute.
    That sounds delicious. Will keep an eye out.
    UPSLynx said:

Dude, so want to try Motorburger.

Lets go?

@TiberiusLazarus, it looks like 24 bottles of beer should weigh around 31 pounds. This is based on 24 bottles of barleywine, a high gravity beer.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Glass density is much higher than water/ alcohol....