In the market for a new router

pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Hardware
The router that is in this house is a "well reviewed" D-Link that has had issues since day one. It was no big deal because my parents never use any type of streaming media/continuous data usage (gaming), but now they are noticing it will stop working even loading a media heavy webpage from time to time. Have updated the firmware and if anything, the problem got worse.

Price is not really a concern with a new router, but having at least 4 x 10/100/1000 ports, strong wireless performance and relatively easy to use, yet powerful tools and settings are major concerns.

We have had Linksys, Netgear, and D-Link routers now and only the old Linksys routers (from before Cisco) have proved reliable and stable. What brands/models are currently reliable/stable? Don't care what it looks like or who makes it, we just need a new router.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    What's your budget, what 802.11x version do you want?
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Cost is not a factor, as long as we are not talking $150-200+

Hell, what version of 802.11 are we on nowadays?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    802.11ac is the newest, but still in draft stage. 802.11n has hit its technological peak. 802.11g is ubiquitous, but it shows its age.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    802.11n I would recommend, but I have a reliable for me Cisco/Linksys E4200 router so will not recommend that unless you want to spend about $150.00 plus.
  • I've also been on a Cisco E4200 for probably 5 -8 months. Since first setup, I've never reset it, never had to reconfigure anything, or even remember that I own it. It's $100 on Amazon now:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Linksys-E4200-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/dp/B004K1EZDS
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Just installed the Cisco E4200 v2 and everything is humming along. Can finally get a decent wifi connection upstairs for the first time since, well, the last Cisco/Linksys router we had...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    It's a solid little guy