Help! What monitors do you recommend for a graphics workstation?

BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Hardware
Sup everyone. I've decided to up my professional game by making the move to building a workstation dedicated to professional graphics, meant for both 2D (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc) and 3D (Autodesk Maya, Adobe AfterEffects) work. As such, I'm looking for recommendations on what monitors to pick up. I haven't bought monitors in over 6 years, so I have no clue where to begin, and what types of panels are right for me.

For my workstation, I will be building a rig with the following components:
GPU: AMD FirePro v5900 (Won at SIGGRAPH 2011, yay!)
CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K (Sandy Bridge)
Memory: 32GB G.Skill 1600
Mobo: ECS Z77H2-A2X Golden (Won at IC Expo 2012, yay!)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD + WD 2TB HDD

So, I'll be using the FirePro v5900. It supports up to 3 monitors by itself via Eyefinity, so I would like to take advantage of that with 3 monitors. I have a MAX budget of $2000 for monitors alone, though I would strongly prefer to keep it under that for all three. As such, I would like a few different price points that I could look over ($1000, $1500, and $2000 set options), as well as general pointers on which display panel technologies I should look for, and which I should avoid (ie, which are typical "good enough for gamers" trash, and which are geared for professionals).

Since this will be for professional graphics, color fidelity and accuracy is important. High resolutions are also preferred. But it ALL has to be run on just that one card, as I don't have the budget to buy a newer or more cards. I say this because I don't know what kind of monitors are out there that have higher than 1920x1200 resolutions and what GPU/cable setups they need to work.

Thanks everyone. High fives all around for any help given. :D

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Worth noting, a few people have already given me some recommendations in another thread. Here's a recap to get the ball rolling:

Thrax: HP ZR2440W. mmmm.

mertesn: The HP ZR24w is nice, but gets really hot. Three of them only makes it worse. I don't know if HP has fixed the problem in newer hardware revisions, but I certainly hope so. My office temperature jumps 10-15 degrees when all three displays are running.

Thrax: This is pretty common for any high-gamut CFL-backlit IPS panel.

shwaip: The ZR2740w is LED backlit and doesn't put off much heat. The 2440 is also led backlit, and may be a bit more within your pricerange, if you want 3 of them

fatcat: Dell 2412m only $900 for three of them. does not get hot

Me: Thinking about it, I would prefer energy-efficient cool-running monitors, so LED-backlit monitors would be preferred, unless there's a color temperature trade-off for going LED (are they more blue-looking, perhaps?). Also, it just occurred to me that since I'll be going multi-monitors, a thin bezel is STRONGLY preferred so they can sit closer side-by-side.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    The ZR2440W or the ZR2740W are the best LED monitors money can buy. The 24" model is particularly reasonable. Probably the best price/performance monitor out there, come to think of it.
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    anything with 120hz refresh rate & 2-3ms response time. However the top name brands are ASUS, ACER, and LG.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    Acer
    HAHAHAHAHAH
    HOHOHOHOHO
    HEE HEE HEE
    oh man my sides are splitting.
    Acer actually makes very nice 120Hz monitors.
    Their QC is abysmal and customer service is worse than Asus and HP combined. But hey, quality? Who cares about that if it looks good and saves ya $20?
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    The color accuracy of any IPS panel (ignoring the differences between sIPS and eIPS) will be roughly the same once you calibrate it. I picked up a used spyder 3 calibrator for my 2740w and even though the monitor only has brightness controls built in, I got excellent calibration results.

Also I only have good things to say about HP's monitor tech support. My first 2740 had problems on sleep when connected to displayport and within 2 days of talking to tech support, they sent me a new cable, then 2 days later a new monitor when the cable didn't fix the problem.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    The Dell 2412m is $289 right now. Absolutely love mine and you can get four of them for the price of three ZR2440W's
    edited August 2012
    Thanks everyone for your input! Right now I'm most interested in the HP ZR2440W (via @Thrax) and the Dell 2412m (via @fatcat). While the HP is indeed super sexy, I do really like my current Dell monitors and wouldn't mind going Dell again.

Now for price, the current Dell deal may win me over. According to Camelegg, $289 is the lowest that monitor's ever been. If I went with the HP displays, three would run about $1200, while triple Dells would be under $900. Hmm...
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Dell's outlet monitors are great. Worth looking into.
  • I owned an extremely nice Acer monitor for a very long time that never had one problem and looked absolutely amazing. I only ditched it because my resolution needs outgrew it. Not trying to throw the thread off topic, but I wouldn't throw Acer out of the picture just because Ryan had issues. I'm not discounting his opinion either, just saying in my experience Acer is fine and budget friendly.
    edited August 2012
    @Annes: Another vote for Dell, huh? I think that's what I'm going to go with, then. Thanks for the link as well.

@shwaip: Oooooh. Very nice find. Thank you!

@PirateNinja I actually have a cheap smaller Acer monitor I use in conjunction with a laptop. It's VGA-only, which seems a bit odd, but that's okay. It was like $70, free shipping, and my laptop has VGA out. Works great. I think I'll still go Dell, but otherwise I also wouldn't discredit Acer (sorry other Ryan).
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    shwaip's link leads to $299 on Dell if I did it right o.O did it wrong lol $269.10 with code

newegg is still $289
    edited August 2012
    The superior (color, contrast, response time, gamut) ZR2440W is currently $299 on MacMall and PCMall after instant+MIR.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    As a side note, I've ordered from macmall with no issues (even got extra cash back with my capital one mastercard)
    Thrax said:

The superior (color, contrast, response time, gamut) ZR2440W is currently $299 on MacMall and PCMall after instant+MIR.

THREE HUNDRED??? HNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG why you gotta make this difficult, bro??? Plus, the MIR is limit 5, so I'd be clear to order 3.

I'll sleep on it. Thanks again guys.

edited August 2012
    @Pirateninja, I'm not saying every Acer product breaks. Here's the thing though - I run a computer service company. I get to see the cross-section of reliability across a userbase of hundreds, in some cases over several years. I don't keep hard statistics for stuff but I do have a few running notes files adding up some of the more egregarious cases.

There are certain brands I won't let clients deal with based on that cocktail napkin math, and Acer is one of them. They fail at a higher rate than any other brand in almost every product category they make products in, frequently not too long after their warranties run out. Even if you're 'lucky' enough to be in warranty, their support is probably the worst in the business. Asus is giving them a run for their money in that category, though.

Then there's the fact that any illusion of them being a deal is just that - smoke and mirrors. Any Acer product out there, I can find something from a reputable company with a better warranty and better build quality for a couple bucks more. It's not worth the perceived 'value' they present at first glance.

But people can buy what they want. I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... all those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
    Okay, I see what you mean, @RyanMM. So which brands do you recommend for being reliable? And when they do break down, which brands have the best service to rely upon? I'll take these both into strong consideration.
  • @RyanMM I also managed computer service company for years, Acer just didn't strike me as bad.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Bandrik said:

Okay, I see what you mean, @RyanMM. So which brands do you recommend for being reliable? And when they do break down, which brands have the best service to rely upon? I'll take these both into strong consideration.

Not trying to break into the discussion, but HP and Dell both have good reputations internationally. BOTH cater to businesses and pros. So does Lenovo, but Lenovo does not mfr their own monitors.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    HP's warranty service is no joke. I had one of three ZR24w displays stop working after about six months. One call to HP, and either one or two days later I had the replacement display. All I had to do was put the bad one in the box and send it back on HP's dime.
  • Confirming HPs warranty service is pretty awesome. Laptop hard drive died, they overnighted a new one to me with prepaid return shipping.

Only problem I had was the fact that their warranty status tools are bit janky and they don't send you a tracking number.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I think they e-mailed tracking info to me, but I suppose laptop and display support tools might be different.

@RyanMM I also managed computer service company for years, Acer just didn't strike me as bad.

I started to notice huge dips in their quality around 2004 and it's continued to get worse. Glad your experience was different though.
    Bandrik said:

Strictly speaking on monitors, as @Straight_man says, Dell and HP both have good support and build a solid monitor. I'd put them on the same footing, so at that point, compare specs and price and decide based on that. NEC is great but doesn't make a lot of consumer stuff anymore. Asus uses good components, but their support sucks and they haven't been making monitors long enough for their assembly quality to be established. That's pretty much everyone who's making monitors in the class/size/price range you're looking in.
    shwaip said:
    I just checked into the deal to see if the coupon code still worked. It does, but Dell charges sales tax. It comes out to about $18.83 per monitor, for a total of $56.51 for all 3. At that point it would be the same to go with Newegg and not have to pretend to Dell that I'm a company. Oh well.