Recently started Wood Turning

ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Lifestyle
I picked up a mid size lathe and some pen kits. So far it has been an enjoyable start to a new hobby. It is nice to start with a block of wood and some metal bits and in an evening have a finished pen. Anyone else ever try their hand at wood turning? Have some pics to share?
RahnalH102GHoosdum

Comments

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    I practiced a bit in my various wood shop classes but other students had full projects (dang mallets) involving the one or two lathes so I didn't get to spend much time or work on a project with it.

That aside though I do know how to work one and have various other completed projects.
    For example I had an idea to make a Super Mushroom from the lathe to go inside the "?" Block I made:
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    Yeah Super Mushroom would be a cool project. Would require the right face plate though. I would like to get into bowls/boxes later. Just would take some more $$. Thanks for sharing!
  • RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    Always the $$ getting in the way.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Hey... I need a whole lot of custom porch ballisters. :D
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Each with a Super Mushroom top?
    BobbyDigiUPSLynx
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    You make pens? Writing pens? I want one.

Also is a fedora possible?

-Digi
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I like how Zanthian's "Hey, I'm sharing my hobby, does anyone else do this" has turned into a "HEY MAKE ME THIS" thread. OH ICRONTIC! :D
    GHoosdum
    D: I didn't mean to do that at all. I think it is way cool. I want to make a writing pen. My obvious route was to ask if a hat was possible. If so, I want to make a hat. My father-in-law makes full on furniture. He made DigiKid and TheTeenager each a dresser. TheTeenager's has a matching mirror. We call them John-Built (named after him). They are high quality, will last the girls a lifetime and weigh a ton! If wood work in general is of interest I can post some pics.

-Digi
    Yes, I started with writing pens. They aren't too expensive and they are good too learn on.
    Here is a good site to get an idea of what is involved: http://www.kevinsbrady.net/pen.html
    Here is a good site to get some supplies: http://www.pennstateind.com/

Digi, it looks like you could make a wood hat. http://www.woodhat.com/ but i would rank that very high in difficulty. It is something you could work towards though.
    Lincoln said:

Hey... I need a whole lot of custom porch ballisters. :D

My Lathe isn't actually large enough for that, but it seems like something you could totally make. Especially if you made a template to compare the wood against as you turned it.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Actually, your lathe would be just fine for that, you just wouldn't have them in a single solid piece ;)

A fedora wouldn't work on a lathe, Digi. Turned objects require radial symmetry. You could start it on a lathe and finish with a variety of things, though.

This thread is reminding me that I don't have a wood shop at the moment, and it's driving me nuts...
    Zanthian said:
    You should be sporting a “woody” too !
    -Digi

Zanthian
    I didn't click that link before. Now I did. Holy fuckbeans. There's more than turning going on there for sure, but....wow.

My only two questions are durability and price. Damn I want one, though. I wonder how hard it'd be to make a driving cap...

• trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    You should do some of this stuff, so when I get a pair of Denon's I'll know who to call. :thumbsup:

Lawton Audio Wood Chambers
    Gods, those are some sweet headphone mods. I might have to call them up and see if they can do anything with my Grados. Thanks for linking that, Troll!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    Suddenly a lathe becomes more affordable:

Oooooo that is so very tempting.
    HA, Nothing could go wrong there...