Minecraft Hack and Slash

d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Minecraft
I am working on finishing up my Hack and Slash Minecraft MMO server idea. Currently we have a main story line written by a friend of mine. I have an idea of creating a Library with a bunch of books written by some people to populate it. I found a mod that lets me make Bookshelves into a Chest for books, and it automatically places copies of the books back into the shelf when one is taken. So I was curious if anyone would be willing to write some random little stories from the point of view of some villagers in my town. The story should be below, from the point of view of our Hipster Master Scribe.
(NEW NOT SERIOUS STORY - Hipster Version - “The Ironic History”)
To whomever is reading this tome...
(Firstly, congratulate yourself if you recognized my use of ‘whomever’ as being the proper grammatical use of whomever. Seriously, if you’re one of those pseudo-sophisticates from the Capital who think that “Oh, language is a living, evolving thing. We don’t have to use proper grammar, so there!” then pull your rear out of park and go back to Capital because we “don’t want none”. I mean seriously, Capital for the name of THE capital. It’s not even ironic...)
Now our village of Covenant, founded 257 years ago by The Magic, the greatest wizard to ever have existed since magic became an institutionalized system of probability manipulation, is very proud of commitment to creativity and intellectual integrity. “Oh, you’re not proud of your super amazeface floating city?” one might ask. First of all, “amazeface” is our word, coined by The Magic’s best friend’s five-year old daughter when she was only 4. How? We’re mages, we bend time and space all the time, even as toddlers. Second of all, I’m getting to that part of the story so put the Self-Righteous Latte down and keep reading.)
This story goes back to the creation of our town, the magnificent village of Covenant, founded by a great and powerful wizard known only as “The Magic”. He gathered his most trusted disciples, of whom (pause for recognition) were the greatest magic users in all the land. Denying the King’s request to serve the capitalist, meritocracy agenda and further support a feudal societal system that stifled the expansive power of the human imagination, they left and founded our fair city.
Okay, so this is supposed to a historical record for the powerful and strong amazeface (TM) adventurers who, I also notice keep interrupting me. “Oh my god, where are the pictures?” “Oh my god, it’s too long- I can’t read that” So I’ll skip to the good parts.
In a stroke of irony (real irony not the fake bad poetry kind) our leader settled on top of a HUGE ruin of a some ridiculous evil and it kind of started making people go REALLY crazy. Not foaming at the mouth crazy but “I’m changing my DNA into a horrible monster” crazy. (By the way, in case it comes up, DNA was kind of discovered in this village and is kind of a big deal. Read Filbert’s Big Book of Science, it’s really obscure - only 10 copies were made - so amazing.)
So, people turning into monsters killing innocents and their loved ones... We kinda kicked them all out and create a gigantic magical barrier to keep them out. Didn’t work. He Who Shall Not Be Named (Arthur Crumblepott- worst mage ever) might have miscalculated something, who knows, I’m not here to place blame, I’m just telling a story.
Anyway, we sent some of our best adventurers out, the all died, except for one. She was a female warrior, which is totally cool because you know, women’s rights? How about human rights? Yeah, I went there. (Read Victoria Southstar-Firespirit’s “Unity of Human Spirit and the Validity of Human Equality”. It’s only in the 25th Anniversary Edition of Mage Weekly)
She was kind of nuts...kind of...nuts. ONLY because she discovered a massive system of labyrinths inhabited by monsters and villagers who were then dubbed as “The Turned”! Next thing anybody knows, a bunch of Turned are trying to knock down our doors but little did they know we had a back up plan.
Geographical Displacement. Look it up. Oh you can’t, it’s super secret.
That’s why we have a massive amazeface floating city and a giant human catapult transportation system. It’s really a big deal. Never has been done ever, in history, anywhere. We’re the first.
And if you’re reading this (or skipping to the end because you don’t appreciate fine literature) you must be on of the adventurers we hired to defeat the evil threatening to corrupt the entire world. Congratulations, you’re a privileged few. Officially cool now. Tell all your friends back home.
-Signed Master William S. Speare, Master of the Scribe’s Guild (3968 characters)
If you do want to write some stories just plaster them in here, books have a limit of 256 characters per page, and 50 pages. Feel free to keep them light hearted and humour if you want, or serious and deadpan. Different personalities would be cool.

Shameless plug, I should be finishing up the last little bit of mods I am working with that I feel are necessary for the main idea of the server, and I will be looking for some people to do some beta testing on the server here soon.

Comments

• AdrestiaAdrestia Cincinnati, OH Member
    That's my story. I don't know very much about hipsters but a slap stick story seemed kind of lame and I'm not very good at THAT either but it was fun and if anyone doesn't want to be subjected to more of my writing, I'd definitely pitch in!
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    This would give me good writing experience.....I'll get started on one!
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH Icrontian
    I should hopefully get my buildings place back into their correct spots again here soon, so anyone that wants to log on and see what it all looks like for some inspiration can do so.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    This sounds like fun =o
    Looks like we'll be ready for Beta testers soon too.
    Well I think I got the server into at least a playable setting. If anyone is interested in logging in and playing around it would be appreciated. The server ip is minecraft.beardedserver.com
    Hey, topic namechange! :D
    I may jump on and give it a go. Is it a scheduled sort of thing, or just jump in and go for it?
    Jump in and go for it! Bargonzo, Shocks, and Rondelite (me) are the admins and mod, respectively. If you see us on, feel free to ask any questions.
    It should be set up in such a way anyone can hop on and play at any time. I even have essentials set up with the /mail option for people to log problems they find.

We aren't planning on any "targeted" testing, but since we just started out, I suppose are mostly looking for issues starting out. Note, there are many places in the Dungeon where you can get stuck and starve, /spawn is your friend.
    Is there a list of slash commands in the MOTD or something?
    There is a list of them in the rule book you should get when logging in.

On the last page, after our story. Most of everything else you should need a command for should be supplied by right clicking signs around town. The signs should have [SCS] in green at the top.