"Disable Java NOW, users told, as 0-day exploit hits web"

brightbright Icrontian
edited August 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    As many peeps are reporting in that Reddit post, my Java was already disabled. Though from what I understand it was only the v7 and I hadn't updated yet, FF just doesn't trust Java anyways.

-Digi
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    v7 has the vuln about the security manager bypass exploit potential being exploited, yes, but those who are heavily into security caution that earlier versions of Java have other may have exploitable bugs. Folks are coming up with prelim fixes for this latest problem independent of Oracle, which (the fixes) could also be buggy and have not been much tested yet.

So, yes, Digi is wise to have his Java disabled. All users should disable Oracle Java sooner rather than later.
  • BobbyDigi said:

As many peeps are reporting in that Reddit post, my Java was already disabled. Though from what I understand it was only the v7 and I hadn't updated yet, FF just doesn't trust Java anyways.

-Digi

No one should assume that this is the case (as they say, assumption is the brother of all fuck-ups). Go into your Firefox add-ons and make sure Java is disabled. Word has it Oracle doesn't plan to patch this one until October. As for FF not trusting Java, I dunno about your setup @BobbyDigi, but it was enabled on all my computers out of the box. I had to go in and disable the plugin.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    ardichoke said:

No one should assume that this is the case (as they say, assumption is the brother of all fuck-ups). Go into your Firefox add-ons and make sure Java is disabled. Word has it Oracle doesn't plan to patch this one until October. As for FF not trusting Java, I dunno about your setup @BobbyDigi, but it was enabled on all my computers out of the box. I had to go in and disable the plugin.

I must have disabled it at some point in the past because I went in and it was there, just disabled.

-Digi