My C drive is full; what can I delete?

2»

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You may have a pagefile on both C & D. Check
    Right-click on My computer > Properties > Advanced system settings > "settings" under Performance > Advanced > Change > Uncheck Automatically and then set No paging file on C and then set it on D automatically or w/e you want.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    That's what I did a year ago - set my pagefile in that dialog be system managed on D:\ and none on C:\, but apparently it never deleted the old default one. It let me delete it through WinDirStat today, so it must not have been in use.
    Ah, yes. The old "sure we moved it" problem :P
    It's a feature. In case I want to know what my computer was thinking in 2011.

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    If you have hibernation enabled, you'll have a ram-sized file on your C drive. You can disable hibernation to free up some space.
    This is a laptop, errday it's hibernating. I just wish the hiberfile could be moved to another partition.
    @gnomequeen you can probably prune some space off of the softwaredistribution folder, but really it looks like you just need to make your c:/ drive bigger.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    shwaip said:

@gnomequeen you can probably prune some space off of the softwaredistribution folder, but really it looks like you just need to make your c:/ drive bigger.

^This.

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    shwaip said:

If you have hibernation enabled, you'll have a ram-sized file on your C drive. You can disable hibernation to free up some space.

I have that disabled, it's one of the first things I tried. But thank youu! :D
    I'm always surprised that anyone considers hibernation optional for laptops.

Your experience may vary, but I freed up about a gig by turning file compression on for Users\UserName\AppData. At your own risk, though. When I started compressing the folder, I had 400mb free. When it was done, it the folder properties showed using up one less gb, but then it my C drive was totally full until I restarted it a couple of times, and then finally 1.4gb free. So, something screwy might happen if you're in the middle of the process and run out of space.
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    So what program should I use to make it bigger? You guys suggested a couple different ones. :D
    Parted Magic is free. That is what I use for that kind of thing.
    edited September 2012
    0)make sure you've backed up all your important files to a different place.

1)burn an ubuntu live cd

2)boot to live cd

3a)bring up the partition editor by typing partition editor (or something similar) into the ubuntu-start-type-menu thing
    3b) if you can't find it, open a terminal (to open terminal, type terminal into the startmenuthinger) and type "sudo gparted" without the quotes

4)make other partition smaller, make main partition bigger (add maybe 20 gb).

if you can't find the partition editor shortcut, i'll need to sit down at my work computer to figure out what it's called.

So what program should I use to make it bigger? You guys suggested a couple different ones. :D

I've always used EaseUS Partition Manager, also free.
    Tushon said:

I've always used EaseUS Partition Manager, also free.
    can you use it on the active/system partition?
    I believe so, but would need to confirm.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    {nope.jpg}

people might find the thread with the same issue and try it out //shwaip
    It certainly did not gripe when I set up the actions on my server. Note, I didn't commit them, but Jackie can certainly tell us if it actually works or not.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    I guess I'm a bit late to the party, but I've always wondered what advantages multiple partitions like this has over a single partition. Is it just for organization or are there actual performance benefits?
    Depending on what version of Windows you have, it has limits on how many files can be in a directory and hownmany subdirectories can be in a major directory. So, in a sense, it is something of an advantage to spread a HUGE number of files over multiple partitions-- by huge I am talking 8-9 thousands or tens of thousands.

For the average user, the only advantage is if you use a spindle HD, where it has to seek more and longer to find a file deep in the partition. Then, having multiple partitions gives a small advantage.

IF you have a 3 TB or bigger bulk storage HD, it might be worth splitting it into 2 partitions, but for average HD sizes, the advantage is small of splitting a HD up. I have a bulk 1.8 TB HD (actual capacity), single partition, for bulk storage and backups.

My OS HD is broken up into different partitions simply because I need different native file types and partitions for different OSs-- multiboot laptop. That is the other major vary valid reason to partition a smaller HD.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    It's also useful to have a sort of quarantined off part of the drive which can be easily reformatted to reinstall the OS without having to copy all your other files off then back onto the drive.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    ^ That's the big winner. The most useful reason we do this is to install just Windows on one partition, install programs to another, and keep data on another. That way if any one portion of that goes wonky, you don't lose everything. Reinstalling Windows becomes less of a chore.
  • It's less useful, in my experience, for the programs. Most won't work right after a Windows reinstall unless you reinstall the app as well anyway. For user data, however, a separate partition is invaluable.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I can't begin to describe how much having a separate location for my windows files is.

Way back when, when I first got my lappy I was having issue with the Graphics Drivers so I tried uninstalling them off my C-Drive. The result was that I had no drivers for my GT 555m and I couldn't reinstall them. Sure enough I dove into my D-Drive where I stored all my original Windows files and I found the original driver program and bang boom bat everything was working again.

As for size I have 30 GB of my drive set aside for Windows files but I've never gone past 3GB used at any time.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Thanks for clearing that up, guys. I've partitioned for dual-boot, but didn't consider splitting the OS from the data.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    I install apps to a separate partition so that if they keep preferences or config files or anything near the app, those aren't lost in a crash (and are frequently picked right back up after reinstalling the app).