your opinion on Steams big picture

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas Member
edited September 2012 in Gaming
I have been using it for the past few days. The navigation is great however is consumes a lot of system resources. I try to run any game and the game is jerky almost feels like i'm running an nvidia 6600 gt. I hope the finished product is a little more polished.

Comments

• GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    I haven't been able to try it yet. There is no support for XP.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    I clicked on it just to see what it was. Seams like the first step towards a Steam operating system to me ;)

I don't use the steam interface enough to utilize it as of yet but it's a cool idea. Seemed smooth in the few minutes I was in it.

-Digi
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    I just removed it so when they have a finished product i'll give it a try.
  • I'm a little behind the curve on this one. What is it? Is it basically an OnLive like service run by Valve?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's Steam with a GUI that works from 10-20 feet, for PC gaming on the couch.
  • So over an application terminal like a Boxee Box connected to your home network?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

So over an application terminal like a Boxee Box connected to your home network?

No. It is just a different GUI design to be used on a computer that is attached to TV rather than monitor. Think the way the Xbox GUI looks (easy to manipulate with controller) vs Steam on PC (mouse/keyboard, precision clicking). Valve looks to be designing their own hardware, but that is probably a year out still, at a minimum.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Own hardware... As in a new console to compete with xbox and the like? That would be pretty cool... Have access to anything on steam through a console.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian

So over an application terminal like a Boxee Box connected to your home network?

No, it's just a different way of presenting the Steam interface.

• Interesting. That may give the HTPC market a little shot in the arm.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian

Own hardware... As in a new console to compete with xbox and the like? That would be pretty cool... Have access to anything on steam through a console.

That is the suspicion based on patent filings for their own controllers, but in Valve's typical manner, nothing has been confirmed or stated about it (to my knowledge)
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas Member
    Ya it will be cool to see this fully implemented into the new 2k or 4k tvs.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    It turns your computer into a console. It's interesting, but I don't like the single-function-at-a-time aspect. I want chats to be a popup window and not a separate section =/

It does make installing games easier, though. It's kinda like doing it through the website interface; you don't have to wait for that preload window to start installing the next one.