Game keeps crashing, and sometimes bsod

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited February 2004 in Hardware
I recently built a computer for my mate using an Athlon XP 2000+, 2x 256Mb PC2100 Ram, Asus A7N266-VM mobo (NForce with integrated Geforce 2), and Samsung 40Gb HDD.

I updated Windows to SP1, and put DX9 on there. He bought a copy of Vietcong, and it plays fine fore a few minutes then just crashes out to Windows. It does this at completely random intervals, always recreateable but never at the same place - i.e. keep playing it until it crashes out. There's no error, warning or anything, it's just as if you've done Alt+F4 in the game disappears.

A couple of times I was playing and I reckon I saw the bsod flash up, and the machine restarted. Now at this point, I think the NForce drivers (latest ones off nVidias site) were a bit shaky (Going to advanced display settings and clicking 'Geforce 2' would cause a "catastrophic failure" and I couldn't change and D3D or OpenGL settings). I updated the nForce drivers with the ones off the Asus website, and this seemed to fix the graphics problem.

I think this fixed the bsod problem, but the game still mysteriously crashes out. Now, I thought of Prime straight away and downloaded memtest (incidentally, I tried the new memtest86+ and this is incompatible with the A7N266-VM), and ran the whole test through, and it seemed to run fine. The test automatically ran again (should it do this??) so I stopped it. There were no errors, but I was wondering how long I need to run memtest for to do a proper test.

So, finally I thought it may be the integrated Graphics somehow, but before my mate starts spending money on a better card, does anyone think it could the graphics that is at fault??

Suggestions???

btw, Red Alert 1 keeps crashing, but I believe that's more down to the game being XP unfriendly isn't it??

~Cyrix

Comments

• DexterDexter Vancouver, BC Canada
    edited February 2004
    I don't know if it is the same problem, but I had some similar problems with a different game on a friend's computer. Check out this thread: http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8614

Dexter...
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Other possible suspect would be the power supply, though I think it likely that you have already found the culprit.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    I'll try some of the stuff you mentioned in your thread Dexter. keto, what do you mean 'already found the culprit'??

~Cyrix
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Sorry, what I meant was that it's probably something to do with the onboard video.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited February 2004
    Well, I've bought a Radeon 9200 for it, just installing now. I'll post results for anyone that may be interested...

//edit - Well, game just crashed again. First time it just restarted Windows, second time the game froze, the Windows cursor appeared, and Windows seemed there in the background but I couldn't get rid of the Vietcong piccy on-screen.

//2nd edit - Well, I tried each memory stick individually, and the problem keeps happening. Could it be drivers? I tried looping 3D Mark 2001 and it crashed with this - just reset itsself. Should I try a format & reinstall??

Getting frustrated now... bar software the only other thing I could attribute it to is the cheap RAM in there... can anyone tell me how long to run memtest for??

~Cyrix