AMD display driver crashes in photoshop CS5.1 with open gl enabled

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited September 2012 in Science & Tech
With opengl enabled in photoshop, as soon as I open or create any .psd file, windows stops responding, eventually the "amd display driver has stopped responding" popup comes in the bottom right, and then photoshop stays unresponsive. It's not a problem if I disable opengl.

Have the latest drivers for my system. Video card works fine in furmark.

7950 @ stock
1090t @ 3.9
8gb mushkin ridgeback @ 6-7-6-1t (666 MHz)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I have different graphics devices, drivers, and software here, so best I can say is:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/gpu-opengl-support-photoshop-cs4.html

This is for both Photoshop CS4 and CS5, they updated and expanded their Photoshop CS4 and OpenGL help page. to include CS5 stuff also. There are enough issues that Adobe knows multiple issues and problems exist.

Check your RAM free space with large RAW files, and Adobe notes at very bottom of this page that RAW processing is not accellerated in Adobe Photoshop.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I appreciate the response, but do you really think the first thing that I did wasn't check the adobe help and/or hit the first result in the Google search for my issue?
    JBoogaloo
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Not to sound like a dick, but is what you're working on really so graphic intense that you need to have opengl enabled? I understand the benies of it and all, but if it's not really needed I usually just disable mine.

If it is great, maybe some of this can help.
    Are you running it in basic, normal or advanced mode? Depending on what you're running it on try stepping down one and see how that performs.

I ran across this a while ago when I had a small issue with CS5 and I'm just tossing this out there on the off chance that you hadn't run across it yet...good luck!
    thelightsright.com/files/tutorials/OptimizePerformanceOfPhotoshopCS5/OptimizePerformanceOfPhotoshopCS5-Part1.pdf
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    The broadness of the sheet they gave tells me they are getting hit with multiple-many subissues with multiple-many fixes.

I wonder what advantage you get from a .PSD file direct from a .RAW file, other than compactness??? Can you edit in .RAW, have no issues in doing so, then save to .PSD. That would mean two file formats, one big and one compacted, but you would be able to edit without crashing the program.

Next thought, you would get some speed from hardware accelleratted editing also, but is it worth turning off opengl and losing speed for stability.

I do not do your kind of excellent photography, so am much a learner here. Apologies, no offense meant, but I thought a rereading might have a chance of giving you a direction to explore in trying to fix the problem you have.

From what you said you get failure with all .PSD files. Have you tried making your preprocessed .RAW into a non-.PSD and then converting it to .PSD? why do this dumb-on-surface thing? To rule out glitching in making .PSD from .RAW as root cause.
    As a note, it works fine with opengl disabled.

@JBoogaloo - I probably don't NEED opengl acceleration, but the ability to do things faster in photoshop means I get to play with more effects/etc on photos. Things work fine without it...just maybe not as quickly. I'll take a look at the doc when I get back home

@straight_man The moment I open any kind of file in PS, it crashes the display driver.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I completely hear ya on "need vs want", lol! I was just wondering. Hopefully the document helps out. Looking forward to hearing what happens with it all so if I run into this I'll have a reference point :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am going to assume you have the latest patch for CS 5.1, right?
    Yup, and it's a legit version too (yay academic pricing)
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2012
    Longshot: remove (or rename for temporary purposes) all user data files (%appdata%) and repair install/re-install, test?

And one the AMD driver, did you do a clean install (only if you have intel chip and AMD graphics, nono if you have AMD chip)
    Will give a reinstall a try.

I did as much of a clean install as possible, I have amd/amd. I used driver sweeper to get down to the windows driver and then installed the latest cats at the time
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Gotcha. That's as close as you can get then
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Uninstalling Adobe software is NEVER clean. Their uninstaller is a mess. You should manually search for, and remove, any folder named Adobe in users/ and /programdata etc.
    JBoogaloo