AMD's A10-5800K APU goes for glory

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJPeter Gill Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Great review Brian. "Inexpensive, and fast enough" nails it.
  • That's exactly true! I build systems for people 50yrs plus and found they don't care if Intel is getting 9502 points and AMD's getting 9498 in benchmarks. They all ask me the same things can i surf the net, listen to music and look at pictures. The AMD apu does this for a great price thats what counts.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    I am intrigued. This seems like the sort of thing that would be good for building a living-room entertainment system centered around videos, music, some gaming (I'm looking at you, Steam Big Picture), etc, while being able to maintain the sort of slimmer, smaller form-factor one would want to see in their entertainment center. With one of these on a board with integrated audio (I don't know of any that don't have integrated audio these days...), you really wouldn't need room for any PCI expansion. Maybe add a USB hub by your armchair if you don't mind some creative cable management and voila. No monitor needed if you already have a TV.

I'd like to see what people do with these. Hell, I'd like to see what I could do with one of these.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    That's what I did with the Llano system. This is an improved version.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    That's more or less what I cobbled together with a CPU+dGPU before Llano was available. The performance in games easily rivals or surpasses consoles, while the multimedia/HD media performance vastly eclipses anything else you can buy.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Updated to add a $550 example system
  • Great Review. I'm tired of obsolete X86 benchmarks. Multimedia is what this design is for, and it's what the average consumer looks for. Does it play my HD video flawlessly? Can my kid play WOW? Flash content? That's what people are into, at least where performance matters.

I also think the A6-5400 is compelling for under $70. I could see building a really good HTPC with that, or really any system that I'd build for a person that just needs a good performing efficient small form factor PC. I know I'll be building around that at least a couple of times in the near future.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    AMD doesn’t seem to market these chips to content creation professionals at all, which is a shame. These might actually make the perfect workstation processors for a large portion of the low- to mid-range content creation world.
    This is an actual thing that exists. I wish I knew where you could buy them.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    So which graphics cards match up with these APU's for Crossfire?

Also curious, why an unlocked APU? People wanting to overclock (gaming/benchmarks) don't get APU processors.
    The AMD A10 is easily an upgrade for any enthusiast using the Phenom II, if not in terms of raw performance/clock, but in maximum achievable frequency.

Radeon 6670 and 6570 pair.
    Okay so these new APU GPU's are not Southern Islands based (7xxx) but on par with the Northern Islands (6xxx) desktop GPU's.
    They are based on HD 6900 architecture, with the video encode/decode capabilities of HD 7000.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Benchmarks went up significantly for me going from a Phenom II X6 1100T to this APU. All of my games are running better as the CPU bottleneck has been loosened up a bit.
    edited October 2012
    Wait, there is such thing as a CPU bottleneck anymore? Oh, nevermind, I have an Intel i7 :P

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love these APUs. AMD dominates this market. I can see my HTPC and Server using APU processors for years to come.