Quiz!

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Gaming
Hi folks. Quizzes and competitions seems to be popular around here, however most of these are US or Canada only!
I'm gonna be open-minded here and hold a quiz FOR EVERYBODY (almost).

Requirements for entering:

-Needs to be a registered member (duh!)
-Needs to have the "New Neighbor" AND "10 comments" badge awarded BEFORE 04. October 2012 (date of this quiz, Norway time (GMT +2)) (this is to prevent folks joining and posting like mad in order to enter)

I will try to make this challenging, but most questions will be based on subjects I have a fairly good knowledge of, while others will be a result of random web surfing. Answers are to be PM'ed to me in these forums. First to get all answers correct wins. If there are no winners/entrants before Sunday 12:00 (Norway time), no one gets a price. Questions will be numbered. When sending your answers, please indicate which question you answer. I am the sole judge of this quiz, and my ruling is final. Winner will be revealed after the quiz ends, even if the first PM get is the winner.

The prize will be (drumroll): A game from steam, of your choice, valued under €50 ($65). Yes, guys and girls, any game or software on steam under $65, whether currently available, or available as pre-purchase. Please include title of the game you want and steamID/username in your PM.

Now, let's go straight to the quiz!

Question 1: What is the latin name of the animal in the background of the very first video posted on youtube?

Question 2: It is now the third largest city in Norway; when was it founded, and what was it called then (hint: It has changed it's name since then)?

Question 3: What is the ALTERNATIVE name of the revolutionary new ship hull design by Ulstein Group Norway?

Question 4: What is an aptronym?

Question 5: In what year was the car I drive built? (hint: the answer lies somewhere in here)

Question 6: Which famous painter has a painting featuring melting timepieces?

Question 7: What do you call a geometric entity with both magnitude and direction?

Question 8: Why is Greenland bigger than the African continent on most world maps?

Question 9: In nautical terms, what does "four-cant" mean?

Question 10: ....................... is to Norwegians as Whisky is to the Irish. What is it?

Question 11: What would you call a sailing ship with three square-rigged masts?

Question 12: If you were to knock on the door of a viking home, what would most likely happen?

Question 13: What can you find using the 50th brightest star on the night sky?

Question 14: In Wikipedia there is a funny phenomenon where, if you follow a set of specific rules and given enough redirections, you will always end up
on one specific article, no matter what article you started on. What article will you end up on?

Question 15: Which pony is best pony?

Good luck!

primesuspectTeramonaBobbyDigi

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    I entered. I like this quiz.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Awesome contest. Entry posted.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    That was a fun way to spend lunch. Thanks for the fun Jokke!

-Digi
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Less than 24 hours left now!
    edited October 2012
    It is now 12:03 Norway time and we have a winner!

Question 1: What is the latin name of the animal in the background of the very first video posted on youtube?

The latin name for African Bush Elephant is: Loxodonta Africana. Most people got this right.

Question 2: It is now the third largest city in Norway; when was it founded, and what was it called then (hint: It has changed it's name since then)?

The town in question is Trondheim, founded in 997, and called "Kaupangen ved Nidaros". I will accept both Kaupangen and Nidaros as correct answers.

Question 3: What is the ALTERNATIVE name of the revolutionary new ship hull design by Ulstein Group Norway?

The design is called X-Bow, and an ALTERNATIVE name is Inverted Bow.

Question 4: What is an aptronym?

An aptronym is a name fitting it's owner. example: An author named Jonathan Books.

Question 5: In what year was the car I drive built? (hint: the answer lies somewhere in here)

It's a 1972 Volvo 144. This question didn't seem to pose a problem for anyone.

Question 6: Which famous painter has a painting featuring melting timepieces?

I am of course referring to the painting "Persistence of Memory" by Salvador Dali.

Question 7: What do you call a geometric entity with both magnitude and direction?

Then answer is (Eucledian) Vector.

Question 8: Why is Greenland bigger than the African continent on most world maps?

Most maps today use the Mercator Projection. The Mercator Projection will be good around equator, but the closer you come to the poles, the more stretched out the landmasses (and oceans) will be.

Question 9: In nautical terms, what does "four-cant" mean?

Another easy one; a four-cant rope is a rope with four strands.

Question 10: ....................... is to Norwegians as Whisky is to the Irish. What is it?

I am of course referring to akevitt (there are many ways to spell this), Norway's national alcoholic drink.

Question 11: What would you call a sailing ship with three square-rigged masts?

I was originally looking for full-rigger here, but after the answers started coming in, I realized that fleut is also within the limitations of the question. Therefore fleut is also considered correct.

Question 12: If you were to knock on the door of a viking home, what would most likely happen?

I have NO idea why anyone would think you were a draugr. There were unwritten laws on how viking-age people would treat their guests.
    A guest or a stranger knocking on your door should be given food, drink, a place by the fire and a place to lay down. There are examples in the sagas of people denying a guest entry to their home for no reason and being punished by ghosts and the like. Hospitality was very important, whether you were a poor farmer or a rich chief. There is even one story of a woman who built her house on top of a road, so that travelers were forced to pass trough, and enjoy her hospitality.

Question 13: What can you find using the 50th brightest star on the night sky?

The 50th brigthest star on the night sky is Polaris, and you can find your way north using it.

Question 14: In Wikipedia there is a funny phenomenon where, if you follow a set of specific rules and given enough redirections, you will always end up
    on one specific article, no matter what article you started on. What article will you end up on?

You will end up in Philosophy. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Getting_to_Philosophy

Question 15: Which pony is best pony?

There is no right or wrong here. I just wanted to include ponies in order to catch the interests of the bronies around here.

And the winner is (drumroll): @BuddyJ! Congratulations! He has requested Borderlands 2 Season Pass, and his wish shall be granted
    primesuspectBuddyJ
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Thanks for doing this, Jokke!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    That was fun.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I enjoyed just reading it (Was away late this week). Would participate / donate for future prizes / pay entry fees in future quizes.
    edited October 2012
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I had fun doing it. I may do it again sometime.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Thank you @Jokke! Your quiz was very fun. I really appreciate the gift.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    TIL stuff.