hate vista trying to install xp pro it can't see any hard drives on TOSHIBA EQUIUM A 200-1VO

edited October 2012 in Hardware
hi this is my first post, i am trying to get rid of "vista" on my toshiba equium a 200 i insert the xp pro sp 3 disk on startup ,it starts to install but stops saying it can't see any hard drives? i read about changing from "sata" to ide in bios but can't in startup it does not seem to give me any option to do so. any help would very much appreciated.

Comments

• SignalSignal Icrontian
    After hitting the power button, start hitting the delete key and F6 like crazy. The option to enter BIOS sometimes only comes up for a split second.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    You're going to have a lot of trouble installing XP these days. Particularly if the hardware was originally Vista certified.

Is there a reason you're avoiding 7?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I agree with Alex's question being the first, but if you really are set on XP, you need to provide the full model number off the bottom of the laptop (likely). There are probably 3 additional characters that denote a specific configuration of that model.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It is extremely unlikely that you will be able to install XP on this model. You should buy an OEM copy of Windows 7 for, like, $60 and use that instead.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I went through this recently, @pulsar1230. I had a family friend who needed a new install of Windows XP for old software support. Finding drivers for most hardware was impossible, and getting patches and updates was a giant pain in the ass that took hours. All I can say is, support ended two years ago. Good luck.

I went through this recently, @pulsar1230. I had a family friend who needed a new install of Windows XP for old software support. Finding drivers for most hardware was impossible, and getting patches and updates was a giant pain in the ass that took hours. All I can say is, support ended two years ago. Good luck.

Wouldn't the "easy" answer there be win 7 + VM XP? Hardware not up to snuff for that?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    They were using DOS-based medical billing software, and the VM made their experience miserable (they're in their 60s) because printer support was janky, the software company wouldn't support the VM installation, and because they couldn't go full-screen on DOS apps.
    Gotcha. It's certainly not perfect and there is an example of why.