XCom: Enemy Unknown

DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Gaming
Alright, so a few of you have heard me talking about this game almost non-stop for the last 5 days or so, and I've finally had a chance to get some play hours in. First and foremost, XCom: Enemy Unknown is a turn based, squad sized, strategy combat game. It is a remake of a 1994 strategy game 'UFO: Enemy Unknown' By Mythos Games. (Thanks Wiki) From what I have read on the game, the developers wanted to stay as true as possible to the legacy of the original, while modernizing the interface and game play. Enough about that for now.

I jumped in on what the game calls 'Classic' diffculty or "An extreme challenge for experienced XCom players only." I then proceeded to get my squadies smeared up and down the battlefields. I would only recommend jumping that high out the gate if you are very familiar with this type of game. The tutorial does a great job of explaining all the areas of the base. The in-mission HUD is a bit ergonomic, but once I picked it up, I appreciated the lack of clutter on the screen.

The game plays wonderfully, even on an under powered system like mine. (AMD Athlon II x2 240 Proc. 2.8 GHz, 4 GB Ram, Nvidia 8800 GT)

Except for a few, very minor, clipping issues with character models going into scenery during their moves (this is situational, and has no effect on anything else), the graphics are pleasing and immersive.

Anyway, highly recommended in my book. Enjoy.

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    X-Com: UFO Defense is one of my all time favorite games. This reboot looks pretty damn promising, but I think i'm gonna wait for a sale before I buy.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Winfrey said:

X-Com: UFO Defense is one of my all time favorite games. This reboot looks pretty damn promising, but I think i'm gonna wait for a sale before I buy.

Not sure from your post, but in case you aren't aware, there is a free demo of the first two levels.