AMD Releases Radeon RAMDisk software

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
http://www.radeonramdisk.com/

neato. gonna have to read up on it and see if i want to set this up on my desktop.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Looks like they've rebranded Dataram's RAMDisk software for this. Hmm
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Merely step 1. ;) We also giving the 6GB software away for free to people with AMD RAM, which is not part of DataRAM's normal evaluation package.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Interesting....but isn't this about the same advantage of using a SSD?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    RAM is dramatically faster than SSD, but I've not examined this program at all.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    midga said:

Interesting....but isn't this about the same advantage of using a SSD?

A DDR3-1600 RAMdisk is 25x faster than the fastest SATA SSD.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Benchmark with DDR3-1600 on X58 chipset NTFS formatted

not exactly 25x faster, but you get the idea
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I wonder if this is another problem with ATTO...a couple years ago some OCZ SSDs actually broke the program because they were too fast.

Here's my laptop's 8GB DDR3-1333 RAMDrive:
    Are you saying we should add a 0 from 128k onward? ;)
    For the cost of $17.99 on this program I can see having 32GB in a PC now, making a 20GB RAMDisk and having it dump to a SSD when your PC shuts down.
    fatcat said:

For the cost of $17.99 on this program I can see having 32GB in a PC now, making a 20GB RAMDisk and having it dump to a SSD when your PC shuts down.

That's what I'm looking at doing, but the laptop can't take more than its current 16GB. One of the desktops can go to 32GB though...
    fatcat said:

Are you saying we should add a 0 from 128k onward? ;)

Actually, those numbers may be correct. Other programs are responding about the same way.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Well, if you will be ready to save your RAMdisk or can code a way to dump it to SSD when power gets glitched, you have it made with that. UPS will fix some glitches, though they are limited as to outage duration handling.

I have a laptop that will take 32 GB RAM though. One of the things that sold me on it.... :)
    The program copies the ramdisk itself automatically

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Ok, that does fine if you are there to shutdown or you have a UPS , UPS link, and UPS software that does a low-UPS-orderly-shutdown kind of thing.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    Help me understand, what are some of the potential usage scenarios? Is it possible to make it bootable for an OS? How about running a live install of a Linux distro inside of Windows? What kind of real world activitys benefit the most? For example, I'm thinking of re ripping my entire audio collection to flac, could Ramdisk speed this up?
    Booting an OS (aside from a virtualized one) is pretty much out of the question, as the drivers require an OS to be loaded first. Perhaps this could be changed with the move to EFI from a standard BIOS.

Usage cases include scratch disks for Adobe Photoshop, installing games, moving the OS swap space.

Ripping your CDs likely wouldn't be sped up by a RAMdisk since the single-threaded ripping/converting process is the bottleneck.
    BuddyJ
    I can't believe people still want their OS to boot faster. Mine does in 22 seconds with RAID being initiated. How many times are you turning on/off your PC a day?

• I turn my PC off when it's not in use, save the planet Bro. I'm happy with my SSD boot performance, I was just curious about all the possibilities of Ramdisk. How I might leverage it. Currently I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 from an external USB 3.0 hard drive. I'm thinking I might leverage Ramdisk for this, boot from windows, then run it live from Ramdisk. I'll toy with it a little bit and see how it works.
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Sounds fun, but without a pretty huge amount of ram its utility seems somewhat limited. Now, if I did a lot more CAD or something...

I turn my PC off when it's not in use, save the planet Bro. I'm happy with my SSD boot performance, I was just curious about all the possibilities of Ramdisk. How I might leverage it. Currently I dual boot Ubuntu 12.04 from an external USB 3.0 hard drive. I'm thinking I might leverage Ramdisk for this, boot from windows, then run it live from Ramdisk. I'll toy with it a little bit and see how it works.

Well thank you for saving all that energy so my three computers can run 24/7 ;)

Uses: anything Adobe. Gaming (although if your friends aren't using a RAMDisk, you'll still be waiting on them). Pagefile. epeen.