SAPPHIRE Pure Platinum A85XT motherboard aims high

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited October 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    Why motherboard manufactures still put 32-bit PCI slots on motherboards is beyond me. Also, it is time to drop VGA and USB 2.0.
  • Interesting that you used a 1989 Dodge Spirit in your analogy, I have one. An original j code 2.5 Turbo 5 speed, mildly modified. Decent performance at minimal cost, aside from having to run 93 octane.

As for the motherboard, my next computer build will be an i7, I wouldn't even consider an AMD CPU until they can kick i7 butt, which won't be anytime soon.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I had the V6 3.0 version of that car, Tim ;)
    fatcat said:

Why motherboard manufactures still put 32-bit PCI slots on motherboards is beyond me. Also, it is time to drop VGA and USB 2.0.

I think it's more of a thing where the chipset supports the spec, it has the pins for it, they have the room, so why not put it on there? Putting it on there hurts no one, but taking it off might prevent a sale to that one guy who needs a PCI DAQ card or something :D

• BuddyJPeter Gill Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Do you know if Sapphire will be releasing a mATX variant of this board? I get the impression this whole platform would be pretty good in a small form factor setup.
    BuddyJ said:

Do you know if Sapphire will be releasing a mATX variant of this board? I get the impression this whole platform would be pretty good in a small form factor setup.

I don't know that for a fact, but based on SAPPHIRE's history, it would surprise me if they didn't make a mATX Socket FM2 board sometime soon.

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian

I think it's more of a thing where the chipset supports the spec, it has the pins for it, they have the room, so why not put it on there? Putting it on there hurts no one, but taking it off might prevent a sale to that one guy who needs a PCI DAQ card or something :D

You joke, but I have a coworker with a PCI X-Fi card. He refuses to buy a board that he can't use that card in.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Joke's on him, he bought X-Fi.
    primesuspectmertesnPirateNinja

fatcat said:

nah, they should have put another PCIE 2.0 slot and had x16/x8/x4 like the Gigabyte UP4 has so you can run Crossfire/SLi
    This chipset is not SLI certified.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2012
    nvm

This chipset is not SLI certified.

interesting
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    ...taking it off might prevent a sale to that one guy who needs a PCI DAQ card or something
    That guy should probably be shopping for this.