Brutal Doom: A Mature Doom Mod for Sophisticated Adults

BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Gaming

My name is BHHammy, and this is my favorite DOOM mod in the Citadel DOOM modding community.
This is Brutal Doom, winner of the 18th annual Cacowards for Best Mod.

If you watch the preview, I'm certain that, for some of you, certain flags may be tripped. The diehard oldschool purists will most likely find enough at fault (aimable assault rifle instead of pistol, using a port with OpenGL rendering with mouselook instead of the oldschool software rendering engine) to dislike it, and those who might think profanity and flipping the bird to taunt your enemies is beneath them.

I urge you to cast those things aside, and give this baby a chance.

I'm certain you can see it in the video. It's visceral. It's hardcore. The weapons pack serious kick and destructive power. You can grab a Demon Strength Rune (which replaces Bezerker packs) and gain the ability to execute your enemies, pick up explosive barrels and throw them, or even grab Lost Souls out of midair and fling them at your enemies. Of course, you can always hit R and switch back to regular "bash 'em into gibs" Berzerk Mode if you like.

The enemies are also tougher as well, though. New attacks, more bite to their shots, imps can leap-attack you. Barons of Hell are more aggressive, and Cacodemons can dodge your shots (not to mention they, and anybody else who shoots plasma now, is your worst nightmare). If you're killed by a melee attack, you get to watch in glorious death-cam as Pinkies chomp down on your corpse, Imps slam you repeatedly into the ground...or a Baron of Hell simply rips you brutally in half. Right down the middle.

It's a gory, bloody, brutal mod. It ramps up the carnage AND the difficulty, without sacrificing or changing too much that made DOOM great.

And, to me, it embodies EVERYTHING that I think DOOM is.

It can be played on either the GZDoom or Zandronum (which is starting to look more stable and attractive as time goes on) DOOM ports, and it's just gone into version 0.17 as of a couple days ago with new features and executions, but don't let the number fool you- the mod is full-fledged and ready to roll.

If you need help setting it up, you can always PM me here on Icrontic, though if enough people don't know how to get it up and running, I can usually make instructions.

BONUS:
Here's a sample video I made a little ways back from version 0.16, demonstrating a couple of things, including neck-snapping. There's not many opportunities to snap necks in the DOOM games, where enemies aren't facing you and are unaware of you, but then again, it's a little rare to find moments of subtlety in a mod that's FAR from subtle in the first place.

EDIT:
I almost forgot to mention- from the ModDB site, you can download "Mutators" that can change certain aspects of the gameplay to your liking. For example, prefer the old-style ammo management of Doom and don't like sighting? you can plug in a mutator to disable reloads and aiming. Also, if you prefer the old software rendering no-mouselook DOOM, most modern sourceports of course offer the option to go completely oldschool.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Damn kids.
  • This is beautiful! I'm taken back to the horror and heart pounding I felt as a kid when I played this. As a kid, it felt just this gruesome; kinda cool that they finally took it this far. And my mom said it would scar me for life...
    UPSLynx
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    This is so effing awesome. I love what people are able to do with DOOM.

We should co-op this some time dude. Looks like fun.
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    UPSLynx said:

This is so effing awesome. I love what people are able to do with DOOM.

We should co-op this some time dude. Looks like fun.

Hit me up, any time. I'd love to figure this shit out. I'm pretty sure it's fully ready for co-op.
    I'll personally vouch for this mod, it is -crazy- fun. But damn it can make the game crazy tough at times (which is a GOOD thing).