Fixed annoying issue in Word 2007 on Windows 8

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
I was having this annoying issue in Word 2007, ever since I upgraded to Windows 8, but I assumed it was some kind of fluke because I could not find anything on the googles about other people having the problem. I had resigned myself to living with it, since it was minor anyway, but today I found a solution by random, so thought I would share in case anyone else has the issue:

The issue was thus:

Everytime the spelling and grammar checker would give me a squigly underline, and I would right-click on it, it would give me the normal context menu, rather than the expected spelling and grammar check suggestions context menu. I would have to right-click a second time to get my spelling suggestions. As I said: Annoying, but not a big dealio.

So:

Today, when looking for an unrelated setting, I stumbled upon a toggle under PC Setting > General. There is a section in there for 'spelling' which wasn't a think I even knew that the OS concerned itself with. "highlight misspelled words" was turned on. I don't need my OS to highlight misspelled words - Every piece of software I type in other than notepad++ already does that for me - so I turned it off.

Amazing:

It solved the issue I was having in Word. My spelling and grammar check context menus now behave as expected.
primesuspectmidga

Comments

• MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    I will keep this in mind, as I will almost CERTAINLY run across it. Thanks CB!