My PC build

DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Hardware
http://amzn.com/w/3QK5LTQBJQH67
Hey all. so here is the the link to the Amazon wish list I used to piece together my ideal PC build, case up. Its a while until i start buying parts, so I know the prices will fluctuate, and I get free shiping through amazon prime which is why I did the list there. I want critics and input from all. The total price right now comes in a $1040.86 I'm over buget by $40.86 (actually like $240, but my range was 800-1000) :)
Discuss.
(fixed)

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    link?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    What link? :P
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    fixed
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If you're going AMD, would the 8350 be a better choice?

(after a quick amazon search, they are much higher priced than the graphic in Brian's article suggested.)

If you're going AMD, would the 8350 be a better choice?

(after a quick amazon search, they are much higher priced than the graphic in Brian's article suggested.)

I wanted to go 4 gigs, but the price thing kinda hit me, I figured with the 16 gig of RAM I can just increase the cache size maybe?
    edited November 2012
    Switch CPU FX-8320
    Switch PSU to Corsair

HD7870 Ghz is best bang for buck GPU. I like ASUS motherboards, so fine there. Case is always personal choice. You will want to add a CPU heatsink imo. Noctua is king in air-cooling or a corsair/thermaltake watercooling kit all run $70-$100
    edited November 2012
    fatcat said:

Switch CPU FX-8320
    Switch PSU to Corsair

HD7870 Ghz is best bang for buck GPU. I like ASUS motherboards, so fine there. Case is always personal choice. You will want to add a CPU heatsink imo. Noctua is king in air-cooling or a corsair/thermaltake watercooling kit all run $70-$100

That brings me a bit closer to the top of my "budget" :) And will look into the Noctua. Not going to mess with WC at this poitn as i have not intention of overclocking. And I figured the 5 fans total would manage the heat pretty well.

After re reading my post... Do what Greg said in regards to processor
    Okay, Added the Noctua NH-L12 Low-profile Quiet CPU Cooler with 120/90mm Dual PWM Fan, which is compatable with the AM3+ motherboard.
    You could prolly get away with fewer case fans if you are gonna run the noctua. I had some cross flow issues, but i actually improved my cooling by remixing fans
    Removing. For some reason thus page and swype don't get along
    Doc, do you want a window on your case?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    You can save money and have a <%10 performance change by going to the Cooler Master hyper 212 or w/e it's current derivative is for air cooler. $20 after rebate vs $80. Noctua's are awesome, but it wasn't worth the money for me.
    edited November 2012
    if you have no plan to overclock, use stock cooler until can/want a better heatsink

$45 in MIR bring it under $800 ;)

I like it.
    If you want to go to $1000, things I would add:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016 and a 2TB Hard drive ($99)

That liquid PC cooler doesn't need anything else aside from whats there? I was under the impression, perhaps misguidedly, that adding water-cooling to a PC was difficult. In initial install and upkeep.
    it used to be, now there are self-contained kits from corsair, thermaltake etc that are quite simple to install.

here, read away: http://icrontic.com/article/thermaltake-water2-0-review

you can still buy each component for a better water cooling experience, but that includes higher cost

• shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    1) just in case you didn't know, you should check your credit card's website for bonus cashback/points from newegg. i get 2% extra back from newegg with one of my cards

2) consider waiting until black friday. there's usually at least one good deal.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

That liquid PC cooler doesn't need anything else aside from whats there? I was under the impression, perhaps misguidedly, that adding water-cooling to a PC was difficult. In initial install and upkeep.

Can be, yes, if you want to custom build the "best" liquid cooling system and Overclock (I know you said no to that.), but the new "all in one, installation ready" systems are easy to install and maintain-- they are about so easy I might get one myself. From the review on Newegg at link:

"Easy installation, zero maintenance.
    You no longer need to invest into finicky modular watercooling systems to get serious CPU cooling performance. Each Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler is a sealed, closed-loop system that comes pre-filled and never needs refilling. Tubing is constructed from low-evaporation FEP for a long lifespan. Even the thermal compound is pre-applied. You'll be up and running in minutes. "

shwaip said:

1) just in case you didn't know, you should check your credit card's website for bonus cashback/points from newegg. i get 2% extra back from newegg with one of my cards

Credit cards are the spawn of Satan. If, in fact, he did exist, and ejaculated PVCA.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

shwaip said:

Credit cards are the spawn of Satan. If, in fact, he did exist, and ejaculated PVCA.
    zzz

use them wisely, you're fine. in fact, using them wisely helps you in the future to secure a lower rate on a much larger loan (car/morgage).
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian

Well, I use one of them-- I use it to aggregate my spending online into one place, and track it online. Credit cards from a major bank can yield better spending security-- for instance Chase bank will if you get a fraudulent charge just block it/cancel it after you call and send you a new card with a new number. Benefits them (no repeat fraud from same number card) and me (no charges I do not make stand up there for me to pay if I report it within 60 days).
    edited November 2012
    The proper management of capital can afford a spending potential much higher than any credit card. Further application of the same discipline could allow someone to make substantial purchases using their own money, and not a loan. All of this, is my own humblest opinion of course. :)

Also luls at hijacking my own thread.

P.S. The security afforded to a credit card is available to debit as well. If your that concerned, use pre-paid. Credit card companies perpetuate a system in America akin to the slavery of the people who become in-debited to them. @shwaip, you are totally correct in the fact that used wisely, they are not that bad, but not that bad is still bad. This is again all IMHO.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    People who make very bad decisions are their own slaves. TIL.
    Thrax said:

People who make very bad decisions are their own slaves. TIL.

I've been Thraxed...

thread gone off teh rail lol