Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" Ultra-wide Monitor

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited November 2012 in Hardware
saw this on twitter today

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=au&l=en&cs=audhs1&sku=210-41183&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=0&~ck=baynoteSearch

and even though it's not 5120x2160, I still want one ;)

also: it has Displayport out, which means you can get your Eyefinity/NV Surrond on

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Eyefinity yes, NV no.

This will allow you to daisychain per DP1.2 MST on Radeon 7k. 2 monitors on one DP port at this res.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    Ah,okay. Didn't need Displayport for 3 monitors on nvidia anyways (660 and above I believe)

Not that I would run 3 of these Dell's in landscape mode. Now 5 of them in Portrait, that's a thought :)
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    I'm running 24" displays in portrait... I couldn't imagine an extra five inches (of display) being terribly useful in that orientation. At least not at standard desktop viewing distances.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    That's a hell of a good deal compared to their other UltraSharps.

One of my Eyefinity monitors is dying, and I've been thinking about replacing the three of them with one giant screen. I'd definitely miss the lost vertical resolution if I went from the 1600 I've got now to 1080, though.

This Dell is tempting, but I'm going to keep holding out for an affordable 2560x1440 screen / take the plunge on a cheap Korean one.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    hp zr2740w (the "promo edition")
  • Yeah. The HP ZR family's more or less the gold standard. Gods help you if anything goes WRONG with them, it seems... STILL waiting on the supposed case manager to get back to me about the DEFECTIVE ZR24w they shipped. >:(

But as long as you get all three at the same time? Yeah. It's display bliss. Though I dislike the 2740w; two inputs and a non-VESA mount with a 16:9 ratio? Yeah, pass - the ZR27w had 4 inputs FFS. Talk about cheaping the hell out.
    I have had nothing but good experiences with hp's customer support for my 2740. shipped me a new displayport cable, then shipped me a new monitor when that didn't happen. probably took about a week and a half for the whole thing to happen
  • shwaip said:

I have had nothing but good experiences with hp's customer support for my 2740. shipped me a new displayport cable, then shipped me a new monitor when that didn't happen. probably took about a week and a half for the whole thing to happen

This is what my monitors look like:
    http://twitpic.com/bdbi5t
    As you can clearly see, they look absolutely nothing alike. They are three entirely different shades. While at the exact same settings. Despite all being identical ZR24w's, in theory. This is not lighting, that is how different they are. The one on the far right that looks the worst thanks to a pronounced red shift and fuzz on DVI 24 pin, is an improperly refurbed unit that HP sent me. (Old firmware, backlight hours not reset, serial number claims to belong to someone else.) It took them a week to overnight it to me, because the ZR24w is backordered. The ticket was opened on the 5th - I haven't heard a single word from anyone at HP since, even when I logged replacement monitor as defective.

So, as I said: gods help you if anything should happen to go wrong. This is what HP considers 'business' support. The same support system you get for a $10K workstation or a $1.2M Superdome2. My case has allegedly been escalated to a case manager, yet I still have not heard a damn word.
    My anecdote is just as valid as yours.
    heh, the main point was the price and the displayport out, not which HP to spend $100 more on or bitch about support lol

I was suggesting the 2740w as a reasonably priced 25x14 screen for @gargoyle . The DP out is nice, but I think i'd have a hard time with only 1080 vertical pixels. Maybe get several of these and put them portrait? :D
    finding a list of games officially supporting 2560x1080 isn't easy. I imagine its a fun .ini FOV tweak love
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    More or less any game that supports resolution polling from Windows will be fine.
    fatcat said:

finding a list of games officially supporting 2560x1080 isn't easy. I imagine its a fun .ini FOV tweak love

It would suck to keep having to use Flawless Widescreen and the like even without Eyefinity. The games I play seem to only have FOV determined for 4:3 and 16:9, and no calculation between or beyond those. I blame our dystopian present of Xbox ports.
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    Gargoyle said:

It would suck to keep having to use Flawless Widescreen and the like even without Eyefinity. The games I play seem to only have FOV determined for 4:3 and 16:9, and no calculation between or beyond those. I blame our dystopian present of Xbox ports.

I've been really disappointed by the lack of support for 16:3 within games. FlawlessWidescreen does help tremendously, but you'd think games could would work better than this without a fix;

That's a horrifying look into the inside of a Nord.
    pigflipperprimesuspect