Can I upgrade from Windows 8 CP to Windows 8 without reformatting my PC?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
I've been playing with the Windows 8 CP, but it's quickly approaching its expiration date, and I need to purchase and install Windows 8 retail. I don't want to have to reformat if possible, since I just did that when I installed Win 8 CP. The young man at the brand-new Windows Store downtown says that this is not possible, and a google search brings no solutions.

Anyone here have a solution, or do I just need to bite the bullet and start from blank again?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    I suspect something like this might work: http://icrontic.com/article/upgrade-the-windows-7-rc-to-retail

...since Windows 8 is win7 in a new candy shell.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Would I need the physical disc to try it, or do you think it would work with just the download? There is a price difference this time. :P
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    No idea. I don't know how the download is packaged.
  • Windows 8 Consumer Preview to Windows 8 RTM/Release is definitely possible. It's just a bit tricky.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-upgrade-from-windows-7-rc-to-rtm-build/
    edited December 2012
    Okay, I got the Windows 8 downloaded version, and I've changed the cversion minclient version to reflect build 8400. Now, I'm just backing up a couple last second things before I try to run the install.

I'm assuming for now that I don't need to edit the editionID or the productname keys, but I guess we'll see what happens.
    edited December 2012
    So far, it gets part-way through, then just craps out, no error message. :/

Edit: Just realized that I might be having the same problem as Joe. Disconnecting my TV and trying again...
    Yeah, that was it. Now it's working. I've got Windows 8 installed, and didn't have to reformat. I still have to reinsall almost everything though, so it didn't help all that much, but at least I don't have to worry about having lost any important data.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Yeah, if this was a single drive with no partitions, you'd still have to reinstall stuff but have the advantage you mentioned. The last time I had to do it, I was lucky to have separate "Steam" drive and backup TB drive to dump my docs onto. Glad that it worked out in a way.