Windows 8 Install issue

CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
So I purchased the Windows 8 upgrade and I'm trying to install it, but after it reboots a few times I see the Windows 8 logo then it goes to a black screen. I can move the mouse around but nothing else works. I have to restart the PC and it says the Install failed and it reverts back to Windows 7. Any ideas? I've tried to Google it, but haven't found a solution.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Are you doing the upgrade or a clean install?
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    Upgrade.
    Not sure why this is happening. The release preview worked fine.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I'm gonna guess a driver incompatibility. I'd uninstall as many pieces of software and drivers that you can and try again from as clean a point as possible. Also, running ccleaner reg repair beforehand might help.

I dunno. Upgrades are bullshit. Just do clean install.
    I'm trying a clean install. Hopefully it'll work. See you all on the other side.
    Awesome!! So after formatting my SSD and running a clean install it does the same thing. Runs setup from the USB stick and then after reboot shows the Windows 8 four boxes logo and then black screen.
    I left it running in case it was actually doing something. I don't think it was, but the monitor went to sleep after awhile. If I reboot it trys to repair itself, but cannot. So I guess it's back to installing Windows 7 again. Argh!!
    So stupid problem. I had a 3rd Monitor that is usually setup, but it is also a TV. My mom is coming tomorrow and my computer is in the guest room so I disconnected the 3rd Monitor to put it back up so she could use it as a TV only. I disconnected the monitor cable from the monitor, but did not disconnect it from the back of my graphics card. As soon as I pulled that cable I was able to see the install screen. Wierd, but problem solved.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    Sorry I saw this too late to help but yeah - from what I've noticed, Win8 is running some cruddy nVidia drivers. It was only like, on the 23rd or something that nVidia released official drivers, otherwise most Win8 builds have been running some crap driver with no OpenGL published by Microsoft instead.

Coulda saved you a headache. Sorry pal.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It's standard Microsoft procedure to use a standard, only-the-basics driver out of the box for space/install time reasons. They offer more complete drivers on Windows update after installation completes, but users should always go get drivers themselves if they have exotic configurations (e.g. dual GPU, multi-monitor, etc.).

NVIDIA and AMD had certified, Win 8-ready drivers in September.
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    Thrax said:

NVIDIA and AMD had certified, Win 8-ready drivers in September.

I couldn't download the damn things. :/