How Easy is it to Create an IRC Server?

ShadowdareShadowdare Member
edited January 2013 in Science & Tech
I have the qwebirc client set up on my website and I'm using the GeekShed network, but I thought it would be cool to set up my own IRC server. In your experience, how easy is it to create and maintain your own dedicated IRC server?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Paging @ardichoke
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    It's fairly easy, yes, but many hosts do not allow it, and it definitely requires time and attention to secure them properly. Do not do NOT do it on the same server as anything even remotely important.
    MrTRiot
  • MrTRiotMrTRiot Northern Ontario Icrontian
    IRC is notoriously easy to hack into and run some malicious scripts.

I second @Lincoln 's comment. IRC server by itself
  • I've been running IRC servers for.. nigh on 17 years. Long story short: sandbox the everloving shit out of it, run it on a secure OS, firewall it to hell and back. And hope the DDoS kiddies don't decide your paltry setup makes a nice target.
    lmorchard
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Probably best to run it in a virtual machine.
  • Thanks for all the tips everyone. I didn't know IRC was that exploitable and DDoS kiddies are the worst! :eek:
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian

Thanks for all the tips everyone. I didn't know IRC was that exploitable and DDoS kiddies are the worst! :eek:

Worstness:
    1) DDoS kiddies
    2) Hitler
    Shadowdare
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I think you probably need to put two levels of DDoS kiddies before Hitler.
    Shadowdare
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Godwin has been appeased; the beast's slumber continues.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    If you're wanting to do IRC services, just do like Icrontic does and alias to one of the existing networks. Register and lock down the channels you want and you're ready to go.

Unless the channel you want is unavailable on all networks, or you absolutely need network ops, then there's no reason to go through the pain of managing your own server(s).

Unless you're doing it on a private network for something, then maybe.
    Shadowdare