Any using AVG? Anyone else have any further input as to what ROC_Jan2013_AV.exe is?

JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass...Alexandria, VA Icrontian
So yeah, I found AVG asking if I wanted to allow this. Of course, because I'd never seen this or heard anything about it, I said no. Either way, I went googling around and found VERY little, but this site (http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-forums?sec=thread&act=show&id=223379&type=0) offered a bit of info. This is about as much as I could find on it. Some say it's an ad thing for AVG (but that's quickly looked at with concern from other peeps due to the way they did it). I have been going through and deleting much of anything associated with this file. I noticed it in my processes section too (because something was SEVERELY slowing down my PC in the middle of a Photoshop and 3D Max assignment) and ended it there. Of course the PC's running without lag now, but this has me a bit concerned. AVG hasn't said anything about it and there's SO little info on it, Im hoping the IC family can gather a bit more. Thanks for providing any info!

Oh, and what are some sexy AV programs used within IC that may be worth checking out? :)

Comments

• BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Can't really help you on the ROC file question, and I'm not the most qualified to know what is the current "best" AV solution.

Having said that, I use Avast! Free Antivirus edition as my primary "always-running" suite, and I use Malwarebytes for my "on-demand" scanning solution.

Malwarebytes seems to do a better job, but its free version is not real-time and must be manually told to do a scan (the $25 pro version DOES have a live real-time protection, though).
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Hey man, thanks! Every little bit added to my initial post is one step closer to getting my stuff in line. :)
    edited January 2013
    Happy to help. Hopefully we'll hear some second opinions though, as I'm curious what the current favs are. Opinions seem to ebb and flow.

Plus, there are both free and paid AV -- there may be one that is worth paying OMG REAL CASH for. If so, I'd be happy to pay if it's worth having over Avast and Malwarebytes' free editions.
    JBoogaloo
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Check imagedigital signatures and you can always upload suspicious files to https://www.virustotal.com/
    JBoogaloo
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    I use F-Prot for Windows, 5-computer home license, $29.00 a year. They also do Commercial and email server AV scanning solutions. I found them when I noted that UBCD loaded F-Prot and Clam-AV when booting into its GUI stuff. My backup scanner is Malwarebytes paid.
    JBoogaloo
    Oh btw, I'm had fine success with MSE for real-time, Malwarebytes and ad-block plus for your browser (chrome or FF). Also, watch your trigger finger on websites.
  • Knowing this industry pretty well I can tell you AVG is going down the path of paid search dominance, toolbars, browser overtake, ad replacement, etc. in a very big way. Probably your best bet is Avast because they haven't sold their soul yet.
    I have heard good things about Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Which is surprising, considering it's a first-party solution straight from Microsoft.

Why this surprises me is probably a sad thing.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Avast and Avira are both better than AVG at this point in the game (objective, source: av-comparatives) with less nagging bullshit. Both free.
    and speaking of AV comparatives: do notice that when they finally did include it in testing, it performed sub-par compared to some of the mentioned ones.
    Oh yeah, totally forgot about Avira. Also good.

But I found that I liked the Avast interface a lot more. Normally I would take function over form, but they are both very good, so I can be picky this time.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2013
    Back in the day I used to use AVG (which used to work well and had a very small footprint) but as @PirateNinja said;
    Knowing this industry pretty well I can tell you AVG is going down the path of paid search dominance, toolbars, browser overtake, ad replacement, etc. in a very big way. Probably your best bet is Avast because they haven't sold their soul yet.
    And I have now been using Avast! for so long that I have even purchased avast! Internet Security for multiple machines the past several years. The interface is outstanding and I have not really needed to do anything else since using it. The software firewall is as simple as it gets and offers real everyday protection. You can usually get it on promo for much less if you look for it. I have never used paid AV before this and really do like the paid version!
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Like an umbrella in the rain, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the great recommendations. :)
    ^5
  • IvanIvan Icrontian