Help with HDD replacement

KokolekaKokoleka Texas Member
HiHi All! First off, thank you for helping this Geek-wanna-b with my questions your time and patience are sooo appreciated! We need to replace a toasted HDD in a 6yo Dell xps 410 desktop computer. The old one is WD3200KS Caviar SE16 320GB SATA 7200RPM. The one we found is Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB SATA III 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive - WD5000AAKX, is this compatible with our desktop? Thanks:)

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    Well, yes, IF you can handle replacing all the content including Windows on the new drive yourself.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Yes, it will work, but it won't be as fast as it can be because the SATA controller on that machine is too old to push the maximum data transfer rate of that new drive. There's nothing you can do about it, but I figured you should know in case you saw data transfer rates in reviews or on the product packaging and then were wondering why it wasn't as fast on your computer.

But yes, it's a direct drop-in replacement :)
  • KokolekaKokoleka Texas Member
    Thanks for the replies:) So is the newer one too much for our system? Should we look for one that has specs closer to the old one? Replacing content is not a problem for us, we have everything important backed up. We had...MILLENIUM back in the dark and evil times and it taught us well :hrm:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    No, definitely not too much. It will work optimally and perfectly in your system.
  • KokolekaKokoleka Texas Member
    K, thanks a bunch! Will be so glad to get it going again and not have to use my kids laptops, bleh! :p