New Build Windows 7 problem

yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
I built a new machine and the Windows 7 Upgrade is installed. Now I get a notice to enter a product key. I enter the key from the box and it gets rejected. I open a help file and one of the reasons it won't take the key is that I have to install the original OS (XP in this case) then install 7. This seems really silly and I was wondering if there was a way around it. Thanks.

Comments

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)> Icrontian
    Windows 7 Upgrade is a license that allows you to have Windows 7 at a reduced price because you previously purchased another Windows version and are upgrading to Windows 7. If you do not have your previous Windows version installed, there's no way for it to know you have a valid previous Windows installation to upgrade from. If you are going to use an upgrade version, you must upgrade, meaning you must have a previous version of Windows installed first.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Reinstall Windows 7 again over it. Preferably clean install, but if you must retain, just run the upgrade again.

(I think this is the answer you think)
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    Midga: Makes sense. Thanks.
  • yossarian084yossarian084 Norwich, VT, USA Member
    Even after changing the boot priority back to the DVD the only option I get is to open Windows 7. Do I need to reformat the drive?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I mean, you shouldn't need to. Assuming you put the Win 7 DVD back in the drive and tell it to boot from it, then hit a button if needed, it should boot from that drive.