Detroit ICHQ Food Directory
Delivery (4304 Avery St, corner of Calumet, near Canfield & Trumbull)
- Pie Sci Pizza 313-818-0290
- Dominos (313) 831-2100
- Jimmy Johns (313) 832-7614
- Jet's Pizza (313) 297-7000
- Sicily's Detroit (313) 554-0755 (Really good subs, not great pizza, but they take CC for delivery with no minimum fee)
- Slow's To Go ($10+)
Delivers with large-enough order (call & ask)
- Detroit One — (313) 832-7380; Great omelets, breakfast all day, 5-10 min drive, 24 hr except Sunday/delivery. $
- Bucharest Grill — 313-965-3111; 5-10 minute drive. $
- Alley Taco — (313) 818-0067; Outstanding burritos, very close, try different salsas. $
- Maya's Indo-Pak — (313) 262-6204; Excellent authentic Indian / Pakistani food and also Americanized (the Chilli Dilli Chicken is awesome). They also deliver.
Very Close Favorites (Walkable, 3-5 min drive)
- Honest John's — 313-832-5646; kitchen open til 2am every night, breakfast til 5pm Sat/Sun, holds large groups easily, parking lot, veg options, welcomes takeout orders. Our new standard destination. $
- Woodbridge Pub — 313-833-2701; closest (5 min walk), great food, MI drafts, wine by bottle, veg & vegan options, IMPORTANT: consult website/call for food service hours especially Sunday. $$
- Bronx Bar — Lively atmosphere, popular, parking can be challenging. Primarily soup & sandwiches. $
- Motor City Brewing — Brewhouse serving artisan pizza & pitchers, near Bronx. Groups over 4 expect long wait at peak times. $-$$
- Shangri La — Recommend the sushi over entrees, but solid Asian fare. $$
- Harmonie Garden — (313) 638-2345; Middle Eastern, good food, great for takeout. $
- Jolly Pumpkin —Great beers, pizza, and sandwiches. Good vegetarian options. Try the steak sandwich. Cafeteria seating. Avoid Thu-Sat dinner rushes - it's insane. $$
Nearby Favorites (5-15 min drives)
- Batch Brewing — Great small plates cuisine in a microbrewery. Friendly neighborhood location in Corktown. $
- Armando's — Tex Mex, great margaritas. Handles very large groups extremely well. Open very late on weekends. $
- Nuestra Familia — Auténtico! Handles large groups. Mariachi band on Sundays. $$
- Los Altos — Muy auténtico, smaller groups (up to 8). $$
- Mudgie's — 313-961-2000 - Awesome sandwiches and soup, veg options, great for lunch take out, highly recommended. $$
- Green Dot — Great sliders (20 varieties) and amazing fries, veg options, do NOT attempt at dinner time (very long wait, popular hotspot right now), open til midnight/1am. Groups over 4 expect long wait at peak times. Great price on drafts. $
- Wasabi — Average Sushi + Korean + Japanese. Not great, but nearby. $$
- Union Street — Great food, great for business dinner or date night. Get the Dragon Eggs with rasta sauce. $$-$$$
- Great Lakes Coffee — MI drafts, full cafe + sells whole bean, food, nice for groups. $-$$
- Mercury Burger Bar — Really good burgers, decent beer selection, so-so fries. Sometimes loud, good for groups, highly recommend paid parking lot. Walk to Two James. $-$$
- Le Petite Zinc — Small groups only but really good crepes, right down Trumbull. $$
- Buddy's Pizza — Classic metro Detroit pizza chain. The definitive "Detroit-style" pizza. $$
- Onassis Coney Island — Standard coney, solid fare, very close. $
- New Center Eatery — Brian recommends. Chicken & waffle specialty. $
- Turkey Grill — Brian recommends. Homemade turkey-based dishes
- Vicki's BBQ — Real pit BBQ, all Detroit. No seating. Carry-out only. Close to ICHQ
- UFO Factory / Laika Dog — Hot dogs & grilled cheese with tons of styles & mix-n-match options, including MANY vegetarian selections. High-quality food in a dive bar setting just a mile down Trumbull. Amazing lunch option. $
- Food Exchange — Home of the Big Baby, the ultimate Detroit hamburger. Best burger in the D.
- Detroit Institute of Bagels — Grab a quick sandwich or a dozen bagels to go. $
- Plaka Cafe — Defines Greektown, 24 hr. $-$$
- Foran's Grand Trunk — Downtown, MI drafts, great atmosphere, great pub fare. $$
- Sweetwater Tavern — Famous for their wings (marinated 24 hours, unique flavor). Average bar food for the rest of it. Go for the wings or ribs. Good for groups, parking is challenging. $$
- Redsmoke BBQ — Awesome BBQ, try the mac & cheese, the cornbread is outrageously good. Good enough to get Lincoln to find parking in Greektown any day. Rarely any wait. Good for moderately-sized groups. $$
- Jacoby's — German and Irish fare, great beer selection, potato pancakes & spaetzle. Can accomodate up to 12 during off-peak times, otherwise stick to groups of 4. $$
- Two James Distillery — Now with Thai food truck! $
- Sala Thai — Great Thai food, authentic, can handle moderate-sized groups. $$
- Polish Village — Great Polish food, try all the different pierogis. Moderately sized groups welcome. $$
- Amar Pizza — You haven't had pizza til you've had Naga pizza. Any large order should include a Ghost pizza - just to say you tried it. Also really good rice biryani dishes (gluten-free, vegetarian option) $$
- Hudson Cafe — All the brunch options! Very diverse menu for all dietary needs and both traditional and unique offerings. Usually fairly busy; leave time to find parking and wait a little. $$
Treks (20-30 min drives)
- Imperial (Ferndale) — Outstanding lunch option just north of the city. Hot dogs with ALL the toppings, and much more. Full bar. $
- Original Pancake House (Grosse Pointe) — The original Icrontic must-eat destination. The fluffiest pancakes, the thickest bacon, the biggest baked omelettes oh god my mouth is watering just typing this. $$-$$$
- Red Coat Tavern (Royal Oak) — Be prepared to wait a while for your table at this ultimate burger & beer experience. The cellar is deep. The french onion soup is fantastic. $$-$$$
- Cafe Sushi (Troy) — The best very large group sushi option in the area. Full bar. $$-$$$
- Noble Fish (Clawson) — Best sushi, best prices. Seating for no more than 2. At the back of a small grocery store. $
- Little Tree (Royal Oak) — Great sushi lineup & Asian fare, good for moderately sized groups. Full bar. $$-$$$
- Golden Harvest (Warren) — The best, most authentic Chinese available locally. $$
- Thang Long (Madison Heights) — Closest Vietnamese option for your pho cravings. $$
- Motorburger (Windsor, Canada) — Requires passport. Ask @mertesn what to not tell the border agents. $$
Also, I missed out on every Honest John's trip during ICNY. No clue how I did that, but I want some fried mac and cheese wedges badly.
Also - you forgot to mention that Green Dot has Malort
Step 1: Stand at Island v2.0
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Eat what appears
Removed: St. Cece's (screw that place), Konbini delivery (gone).
Edited: Union Street (to recommend the Dragon Eggs to all), and Mudgie's (to more strongly recommend it).
New to the directory for 2015:
Also expanded the descriptions of our 3 Mexicantown entries.
Removed Ye Olde Butcher Shoppe (gone)
Added the entire "Treks" section, now.
What was the biryani place we ordered from at Expo?
I still love Red Hot and Blue!
Out of business, I recall.
Red Hot & Blue is now gone
I want the record to show that @GnomeQueen un-awesomesauced the OP so she could awesomesauce it again.
Multiple Red Hot and Blue's in Dallas