Logitech G930 sound problem.

JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
edited February 2013 in Hardware
Hey guys.

I have a Logitech G930 wireless headset. Had it for a year or so, and for the last days it's been acting weird.

What happens is the sound will drop, I will hear a beep, as if the battery is empty, and the headset turns off. After a few seconds it turns back on and resumes normal operation. This will happen at irregular intervals. Sometimes it will be normal for hours, other times it will happen several times per hour. I've also received feedback that it affects my microphone too in the form of static. I've found that it happens no matter what level the batteries are at, and irregardless of whether the charging cable is plugged in or not.

As far as I know there are no specific drivers for the product, only the ones Windows can provide. There is however the "Logitech Gaming Software" (running latest version, 8.40.83), that controls the macro buttons on the side, and it also seems to amplify the sound and make the quality better when running in the background. The problems are there whether this software runs or not, so I don't think that's the problem.

However, on this computer I may have some conflicting software.

I have: "Nvidia HD Audio Driver V. 1.3.21.3", "Realtek High Definition Audio Driver v. 6.0.1.6132" and of course the Windows driver for the headset itself and the Logitech Software, and I suspect there may be some issues among these drivers.

What I've done so far:

-Restarted the computer (no immediate effect)
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Logitech Gaming Software
-Updated Nvidia drivers and Control Panel
-Uninstalled and reinstalled Windows driver for the headset
-Disabled everything except the G930 in Control Panel -> Hardware and sound -> Manage Audio Devices
-Swapped USB-ports for the headset reciever dongle (interestingly this fixed the problem temporarily, but I'm not too sure in the long run)

-Edit: Reinstalled chipset, USB and audio drivers. Relocated reciever to be as far from cables and other disturbances as possible.

My computer is a laptop, Clevo X7200 based, but rebranded to Multicom (a Norwegian custom laptop company)
Processor: Intel i7 X990 3.49Ghz
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 580M
Soundcard: Realtek something, probably built-in, but shouldn't matter as headset is USB.
Memory 12GB, no idea what brand or type.

Any ideas? Anyone have the same headset, or experienced similar problems. I've Googled around a little bit and the term "Logitech G930 sound dropping" shows there are some people with similar problems, but I've yet to see a solution other than return to Logitech, get new ones. I'm gonna try to see if it's fixable, if not it seems this may be the way to go. Some people also mention that there may be interference from wireless networks or similar, but I find that implausible in my case. For one, they've worked fine for close to a year, second my room is surrounded by pretty thick concrete walls, and my own network is all wired.

NB: I've been really careful with these, and I can't remember ever dropping them or have them hit something hard, although internal failure can't be excluded

Edit: I may also add that the distance between the reciever and the headset is no more than 1-1.5 meters (3-5 feet)

Comments

• RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    For me, the G930 behaves that way when it loses signal or loses power. I have lost signal when about 3 ft away from the receiver randomly, though its only happened 1-2 times since I reset my desk. I think this was because the receiver was surrounded by power cords at the time.

Also, since playing with mumble, I've found that the windows driver I have is being controlled/modified by the Logitech Gaming Software you mentioned. For example, I set the microphone gain at a certain level in windows, and then it was adjusted to the old value when I restarted the Logitech software.

I have had better luck getting Mumble to work when running the software and adjusting settings through the Logitech software to get better microphone quality (as a side note, the microphone gain is VERY high on mine.)

Paging @pragtastic - he has had some really bad luck with his set as well.
  • I have this headset and I have no issue walking 20 feet away from the receiver and still talking/listening.

I can't say I have much of a clue, but I guess you could try:
    1. Uninstall G930 driver/software and unplug it
    2. Uninstall your current USB controller drivers and replacing them with Intel's latest chipset drivers.
    3. Reinstall the G930 drivers / plug back in

If that doesn't do anything for you it could be a pain in the but to diagnose conflict with other software.

As big of a pain as it is, Logitech is really great about just giving you a new item if your current item breaks.

Good luck, if I ever have the same issue and find a fix I'll come back here and let you know.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    keep the receiver away from power wires and speakers, see if that helps at all.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Did some further research, some people have experienced success by disabling enhancements under speaker properties. I did this, gonna see how it goes. @shwaip I've now sat the receiver as far from any possible disturbances as the cable allows, so I'm gonna see how it goes.

@PirateNinja I've reinstalled both USB drivers and chipset drivers, and reinstalled headset speakers. Let's see how it goes.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I've done the full driver uninstall/reinstall with this headset and have zero obstruction to the receiver and still get issues with it. It's a great headset when it works, but when it doesn't it has to be the most frustrating damned thing in the world. Will be looking for another headset personally.
    So far today the headset has been behaving nice. *sigh*. I dunno, may be just a good day.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    I have had success with wireless headsets running a usb extension cable to the highest point on my desk/entertainment center and plugging the dongle receiver in there. It is away from all of the other wifi/bluetooth devices in my computer.
    Also, sometimes I get this weird error message:

NVIDIA OpenGL Driver

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver detected a problem with the display drivers and is unable to continue. The application must close.

Error code: 3
    Would you like to visit http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html for help?

It comes when I try to open the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS). No matter what I choose, the LGS always closes, and I have to manually restart it, but other than that I can't find any adverse effects of this error message. Dunno if related, and it doesn't seem to do any harm, it's just annoying.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Jokke said:

It comes when I try to open the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS). No matter what I choose, the LGS always closes, and I have to manually restart it, but other than that I can't find any adverse effects of this error message. Dunno if related, and it doesn't seem to do any harm, it's just annoying.

I had a similar issue with Roccat (sp?) software that ended up being that because it was altering driver settings "on the fly", it needed to be excluded from real-time virus scanning.

Re nvidia: that can be software (clean install of latest drivers is easiest no-thinking attempt) or failing hardware. Does it only happen with certain games or programs? Any indication in logs as to what was the faulting program?